Studio flash - Did I make a mistake

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tomeboy69, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Tomeboy69

Tomeboy69 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So in trying to purchase equipment to start my new hobby, I ordered 2 AlienBees B400 flash units. My setup area (if I'm lucky) will be approx 12'x12'x9'high. Will the B400s be enough for this space, or should I have purchased the B800s? I tried to rationalize my purchase because my space will not be dedicated and at most will be set up once a week, but now I'm looking at the price and it would've only cost about $100 more. I guess the good thing is I have 60 days to make up my mind.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's all about the inverse square law...so whether they put out enough power is going to depend on how wide you want/need to shoot. Essentially, more powerful lights will give you the same illumination at a greater distance from your subject, so if you need to shoot wide, it might be a good choice. If you're gonna be doing mostly close ups, or don't mind shooting a little slower, then it's no problem.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can always turn the power down, but you can't get more than the rated full power out of them...so it's always better to have more powerful units. I think the AB800 units are worth the extra cost over the AB400 units. That being said, if you don't need the power, you don't need it.

More powerful lights will allow you to work with greater distances (as mentioned). Also, more powerful lights will allow you to work with smaller apertures (greater DOF).

4. Tomeboy69

Tomeboy69 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Max & Mike. I think I will send them right back and upgrade (there's my lesson for being impulsive).

Tom

5. Tomeboy69

Tomeboy69 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And funny... When I built my house the electrician thought I was nuts for all the can lights - and that was my same type of answer (although it's easier to add lights later to a studio).

Thanks Again!
    Tom