Studio Flower Excercise 3; Composition

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Stumbling my way through this trying different angles and arrangements. These are all plucked from my garden and along road. I am not a flower arranger but did sign up for a class at the local flower shop at the end of the month depending on enough people sign up for it, so far there is just two. Need at least six to sign up. I think my wife and mother in law may bail me out if they are short two the week of. Same gray denim background and lighting other than adding two white foam boards to sprinkle a little more light up front but I also like what it does to background. Hard to keep the green leaf parts looking good, just takes a minor bend and it gets damaged.

DSC_8775.JPG

DSC_8785.JPG

Last edited:
I like the simplicity of the first shot. The second shot has too much going on, no dominate center of interest, one's eye keeps flipping between the rose and the alstroemerias. The lighting and exposure in both is quite nice, but 'traditional'.

Good call on the flower arranging class, it should be very helpful and informative. I remember reading a story a long time ago, back in the '70s, that the florists we're hiring male Latinos for their arrangements, because the Latinos had a proclivity for mixing the colors in a 'bold' fashion.

I like the simplicity of the first shot. The second shot has too much going on, no dominate center of interest, one's eye keeps flipping between the rose and the alstroemerias. The lighting and exposure in both is quite nice, but 'traditional'.

Good call on the flower arranging class, it should be very helpful and informative. I remember reading a story a long time ago, back in the '70s, that the florists we're hiring male Latinos for their arrangements, because the Latinos had a proclivity for mixing the colors in a 'bold' fashion.

Thanks Gary. Yeah, I kind of went out of my comfort zone on 2 and took a chance hoping for the feedback as I was not sold on it myself. Interesting tidbit on Latinos.

Thanks Gary. Yeah, I kind of went out of my comfort zone on 2 and took a chance hoping for the feedback as I was not sold on it myself. Interesting tidbit on Latinos.
Look at paintings from Mexican artists and you'll see what the story made reference to. The dianthus can really add to the image in a background/foreground ... follow me to the center of interest type of application or even as a purple-magenta frame for the primary focal point ... But your random application of the dianthus is more on the distracting side then the follow-me/frame side.

But I'm not a studio guy, so take my remarks with a grain of salt.

Look at paintings from Mexican artists and you'll see what the story made reference to. The dianthus can really add to the image in a background/foreground ... follow me to the center of interest type of application or even as a purple-magenta frame for the primary focal point ... But your random application of the dianthus is more on the distracting side then the follow-me/frame side.

But I'm not a studio guy, so take my remarks with a grain of salt.
I agree with the explanation. Never thought for inspiration from paintings, good call. Thanks.

To me #1 is better on several levels. I like the bold colors in #2, but on my tablet it looks like you lost some detail in the red. Curious as to what distance you're using between the flowers and the denim background, I really like the way it's working for you.

To me #1 is better on several levels. I like the bold colors in #2, but on my tablet it looks like you lost some detail in the red. Curious as to what distance you're using between the flowers and the denim background, I really like the way it's working for you.
12"

I like them both a lot.

Im enjoying following your journey of developing your flower shots. Keep it up you're getting better and better!

The background idea, I remember when you said you where going to do that!!!!! Thats awesome!!!

Most reactions

Back