Studio Flower Excercise 4: Arrangement

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Started on a small scale (about 6" tall), looked at some latin paintings and found some arrangements. Went to the local florist and snipped through their annuals. The ladies were very attentive and helpful since they canceled the arrangement class. They were making fun of me about 15 minutes into it and want to hire me as their mascot. Lol. Gomphrena and baby's breath. I learned something about my 85mm prime, it doesn't get any sharper after f4... anything past f8, it diffracts. Open for critique.

Thanks to @Tim Tucker, and @Gary A. for their encouragement and direction.

DSC_8872.JPG

Very nice.

Here's an idea about composition for some thought:

The frame.

Composition in the real wide world does not exist, it only comes into being the moment you enclose, or isolate, part of it within a frame. Thirds, for example, has nothing to do with the image but is entirely a reference to it's position within the frame. Similarly balance is not how objects relate to each other but how they relate to the frame. Balance is round a central point and the central point is an exact reference to the frame, (it's not the centre of the picture but the centre of the frame).

In fact all composition can be seen as how your subject, or objects within the image relate to the frame, and not really how they relate to each other. Think of archeologists placing a grid over a dig so they can make an accurate drawing. When you place the rectangle enclosing your subject you're also providing your audience with a grid by which they can measure and divide your image. So something as simple as placing your subject equidistant from the frame can suggest a relationship because subconsciously you're using the frame to measure and compare. You recognise the symmetry.

This is all I've done, visually made the flowers equidistant from the frame. Just as an idea for comparison, flick between it and yours and see if there's any difference:

mod-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back