Studio - Good idea? to much?

Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Twas looking in jessops magazine, and i remembed, the studio stuff in the back.

I looked it up, and it looks really good, but im not sure if its best.
Click here to see it

Can i have some advice, is this a good buy? can i get one cheaper? will i need other stuff?

Im also gonna buy a projecter screen, or maybe there is something else i need, for the backing.
What do you lot think?

I'm not familiar with UK pricing, but that seems like a decent kit as far as what you get. I don't use studio lights much myself, so I'm probably not the most informed as far as brands go.

Do you plan on doing a lot of studio portrait work?

Im planning on starting up my own buisness, and doing all and every work, portrait just being one of them.
Thought it would do two things.
1: Help me take good portrait photots.
2: Make me look professional.

Artemis said:
Im planning on starting up my own buisness, and doing all and every work, portrait just being one of them.
Thought it would do two things.
1: Help me take good portrait photots.
2: Make me look professional.
A lot depends on where you are with your photography. Equipment is more about raising the ceiling than making you better. If you don't need the headroom yet, it won't help much.
Do you have any portrait work to get an idea where you are? My approach has been to learn to use the sun first. It's free, and I think it's important to learn to see light and make use of what's there before you start to try and manipulate it. Starting out with multiple light sets can be intimidating, and the large number of options can be hard to get a grip on.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it; just that it will only improve the quality of the light you use, not your use of it (or the other qualities of your photography). Depending on how you learn, it might help being able to control the light, though. The above is just how I did it.

Artemis, this is just my opinion, and I don't mean to discourage, because its great that you have a goal and dream n all, but I think you may be putting the cart before the horse, ya know? You joined us like 3 weeks ago and said you are a newbie to the camera. I think you need to take time to know your camera, learn your art, study your craft, get the basics down, before you venture out into more and specialized equipment. Having lots of equipment is not what makes you look professional, but having a body of work that reflects who you are and what you can do for people does.

Well, i see what yah mean.
The funny thing is i havent even got my SLR, but ill have to wait a couple of months to get the equipment, cause i gotto work for it, so i thought in that time, i could learn the stuff.

I dunno i just really wanna make a small buisness out of it, and ill need to impress people cause tbh who hires a 15 yr old to take your photo?

Artemis said:
I dunno i just really wanna make a small business out of it, and ill need to impress people cause tbh who hires a 15 yr old to take your photo?

True, most people won't hire a 15 year old to take their photograph...but people will be much more willing to hire a 20 year old with 5 years experience and a great portfolio.

Don't be too concerned about getting the equipment you think that you might need to start a business. Get yourself a reliable camera and learn the craft. Go to the library and Read every book about photography that you can find.

Plan ahead for what education you will need to be successful. Photography courses will of course be helpful but if you truly want to start your own business...some education in the business field will go a long way to helping you toward that goal.

Artemis said:
The funny thing is i havent even got my SLR, but ill have to wait a couple of months to get the equipment, cause i gotto work for it, so i thought in that time, i could learn the stuff.
I agree with the others. There's only so much you can learn before getting a camera in your hands. The camera really is the first step. Expect to spend a few years at it before getting to the level where people would want to hire you, especially if you have school to deal with at the same time. I know it's exciting to plan for the future, but getting a decent camera is the first order of business for someone starting out. Strobe lights are quite a ways down the line. You might not even like taking portraits. You may find that landscapes captivate you. You won't know until you start practicing.

I agree with the others, though I wont knock your enthusiasm. A few years ago I was thinking along the same lines (starting a buisness), its only now that my old ambitions are looking like realistic aims.

You all got valid points, and i think i may hold off after all.
But...is there anything i can get that will help me.
I would like to buy some kinda specialized equipment, and i love nature pics like taking pics of plants.
Any advice?

Just get your camera. when you learn it get some filters. Its really not about the equipment. Just because you have STUFF doesnt mean you are going to be good.

Get your camera, Get shooting.

I know it's really tempting to try to accelerate the learning processing by buying equipment, but it really doesn't work that way. Many of us have tried it. It sounds boring and drawn-out, but just starting to learn how to use the camera is really the best way to go. You don't need new equipment when you feel stuck in a rut, only when you feel limited in a very specific way. Then you buy something that frees you up in that specific way. If you can't identify what you need yet and exactly how it will help, the money often goes to waste.

Most reactions

Back