Studio Hours and Actual Working Hours

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by LarissaPhotography, Nov 30, 2009.

1. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What are your studio hours, and how late do you guys actually work to? Our studio hours are 8am to 9pm, but we find ourselves working into the night most of the time to stay caught up. Do you guys face the same issue? Is it a seasonal thing for you guys?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went to a seminar and one of the presentations was from a couple who run a very successful studio out of their home...or live in their studio. (very nice, custom designed building).

They have a rule. Absolutely no working or 'shop talk' after 8:00pm (or was it 9:00pm :scratch: )
    They said that it was very hard to stick to that rule...but it really has helped them maintain a happy marriage and not get burned out on the business.
    They sort of made the point that if you have more work that you can get done in that time...then look for a better solution than working longer hours. For example, take on less work (raise your prices to make up the difference)...or maybe hire someone or outsource some of the work.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with what Mike said. We only work until 7pm any later by appointment/special circumstances only. We always take Sunday off. Again unless special circumstances arise.

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

In the beginning (1983), there was quite a bit of retail traffic around me, so I matched the hours of the area stores:

Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur - 9:30–5:30
    Fri - 9:30–7:00
    Sat - 9:00–Noon

Not anymore. All the retail went out to the mall. The few stores and retail services that are left close on Mondays, as do all the photo studios in town.

So, these days, my OFFICE hours are:

Tue thru Fri - 9:30–5:30, with evenings and weekends available by appointment.

Again, these are the office hours I keep. I shoot outdoors as long as there is light. It's not unusual that I'm on the road, traveling to a location at 4:30 AM. So I'll shoot any time I'm not already committed.

Of course, I often have to come in on Mondays and Saturdays, but the door is locked. I will answer the phone.

The way I think is: If most people work nine-to-five, and I work nine-to-five, how can they ever come in? So I talk with my clients and we always settle on a mutually convenient time.

I'll work when necessary, but I'm VERY selfish with my Sundays, and will only shoot if absolutely necessary (and with a very high minimum).

You guys work too much.

-Pete

5. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It sounds like it may be time for us to re-think the hours we're putting in. I thought with it being a fairly busy time of year that it might be normal. Sounds like it's not. Thanks guys.

6. Shockey

Shockey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a full time 8 hour a day job. Then I do wedding photography also.
    So 6 months out of the year I work 70-90 hour weeks, but I always take 1 weekend a month off for family. The other six months I don't do any photography work, so I guess it evens out.
    I really don't look at photography as work though so the hours do not bother me.