studio light question

shingfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
optically speaking.....are umbrella light and light box different?......do they provide the same result..or different assuming that i use the same lamp for both....also....difference between continuous or flash?

They are different. The umbrella (normally) casts reflected light on the subject while the soft box casts direct light. Because of this the umbrella light is usually larger and, therefore, softer than the soft box light. Of course, the reverse could be true with a large softbox and a small umbrella. My personal preference is for soft boxes because they are easier to control and use.

The difference between continuous and flash is time, heat, exposure, cost of operation and color temperature. Flash is far better in every respect I can think of but continuous is far cheaper.

thx for the informative reply...but if possible....can you go a little bit in depth explaining the difference between the flash and continuous with some physic or more technical explanation?....how are they different in terms of exposure and color temperature.....i'm a curious newbie and i can digest techincal explanation....go as complicated and detailed as you like...thanks again

thx for the informative reply...but if possible....can you go a little bit in depth explaining the difference between the flash and continuous with some physic or more technical explanation?....how are they different in terms of exposure and color temperature.....i'm a curious newbie and i can digest techincal explanation....go as complicated and detailed as you like...thanks again

I went as complicated as I wanted. It might be time to visit the library and check out a couple of books on basic photography.

There have been several threads, the the last few months, where we discussed the strobe vs continuous issue. I'm sure the Search function would be of some help to you.

i think i understand the difference between strobe and continuous now.....and becuase of that....i have a new question about strobe....when i'm using a strobe.....since it operates like a flash....would i need to operate with a light meter in order to get proper exposure?.....and the strobe is triggered with a transmitter on the hotshoe of my camera right?...i have a D80

Strobes can be triggered by a cord connected to your camera, by radio transmitters or optically when another flash goes off.

The camera's meter will not meter lights from studio strobes...you a light/flash meter is a very useful tool. With digital, it's easier to guess and test to get the right exposure...but the flash meter is indispensable for setting your ratios etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back