Studio lighting and built in flash wont stop!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tulsa, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alright, there has to be a simple answer here...

I just got my studio setup. 3 strobes with soft boxes and a backdrop and stand. I am shooting my first couple shots and I cannot get the darn built in flash to not fire, I just want the strobes to fire, I assume there is a setting in the camera, but I cannot figure it out, I am shooting a canon 50d.

2. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You talking about something like a type of Commander Mode? With my NIKON when using C.M. the camera fires a menial pulse to communicate with the strobes, no way around it without using a different method of firing your strobes.

3. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am using a sync chord to one of the strobes, so the built in shouldnt be needed. I guess I could attach my flash and point it backwards if thats needed to trigger the strobes?

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no idea how the Canon system works, I only noticed it said "wireless multi flash support" for the 50d, so I thought it may be triggered with the pop up like it is with Nikons.

5. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok thanks, maybe a Canon guy will chime in. Its going to be tricky shooting inside with these strobes... I dont know if I have enough room for it all!

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ... if you're using a sync cord, why is your pop up flash even up? The camera's in Manual, right?

if you're using mono lights, than they most likely have an optical receiver in them, which the pop up flash isn't needed, it'd just go off eachother.

I just don't even understand why you even have the pop up flash up unless you're shooting in auto where the flash goes up on its own.

7. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I believe I was portrait mode, I have not shot in M, I guess I need to start.

8. Misfitlimp

Misfitlimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WOW! thats all I gotta say

9. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

??
    I usually shoot in AV for landscapes, It has always worked great, since I am just starting with portraits, AV does not work well, so whats your problem?:confused:

10. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll take a stab at a "problem" :) #1 if you're using your strobe lights you should be shooting in manual. If you're shooting in any modes other then that, especially idiot-proof setups your exposure will probably be off, AND HERE IS WHY:
    Imagine you're in Av, you set you ISO 200, f/8 and camera adjusts the shutter speed - lets say 1/60 (if you're fortunate enough in-doors). BUT all that what camera see and doesn't know about your external lights that you'll be using - so you'll probably burn out your subjects. Then as you play with zoom, again camera will readjust the shutter speed to let's say 1/15 and again you'll have beautiful WHITE dot rather then subjects. So that's why you should be shooting with strobes in manual UNLESS you have means to use either camera or some other remote and adjust power outages on external units (aka Nikon CLS)
    #2 on your 50D when you plug in the PC cord and plug that into ONE strobe, you have to position other units so built-in eye sees the flash (either direct or indirect/bounced) and fires accordingly - the light with the cord will be so called master.
    #3 - going back to original point - what the hell are you doing shooting in portrait mode!? Its same as idiot-green and once again - camera will NOT know that you're shooting with strobes thus will popup your built-in flash.

With all that in mind, step one is (and I can't emphasize it enough) LEARN YOUR EQUIPMENT only after will you be more efficient and proficient in your skill.
    Good Luck

11. Misfitlimp

Misfitlimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you.

12. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL
    :lmao: