Studio Lighting and stuff like that.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Jaszek, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So me and my friend decided to make a studio and I'm wondering what lighting we should use. Would you prefer AC Strobes or wireless flashes? Also what are your opinions on Umbrellas vs. Softboxes? I saw a kit on the B&H site last week but its gone now.

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it really depends on how much you want to spend... i mean you can do an ok job with some cheap wireless flashes and umbrellas, but if your looking to open the studio as a legit business, your going to want softboxes and ac strobes..

3. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
    yea forgot to mention that. Want to spend about $500 more if necessary. I was thinking about ac strobes and will probably get a softbox and will get umbrellas since they're like 15-20 $ at B&H

4. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, if you've got the money, do it... i was watching a presentation by Chase Jarvis last night, and he said the biggest thing he regretted when he started photography is that he didn't spend the money to get the right gear.... he started small, with wireless strobes and stuff like that... but said he would have gotten to where he is now faster if he had of just spent the money right away.

if your not familiar with Chase, be sure to check him out Chase Jarvis Photography he does a lot of commercial work, he's amazing... started out with snowboard photography, some magazines saw his work, hired him for ads, now he does a lot of major work for nikon, apple, reebok, windows vista (hurts to say that one), kung fu network, mc donalds... and the list goes on and on

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
    I need to get to know him personally lol. I decided to start spending a lot about a month ago (6 months into photography) when my 70-300 wasn't enough for me so I got the 70-200 2.8 IS

6. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    he's a great guy.. i havent met him in person yet, but we email back and forth, and chat via Twitter a lot.. he's just plain down to earth cool guy who loves life and loves photography

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try getting a cheap norman pack or something, AC strobes are much easier to work with because you don't have to fight with changing batteries all the time and slow recycle times, not to mention the power.

8. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
  9. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Smith Victor's suck, the SB-900 has more power then those heads and it runs on 4AA's.

make an ad on craigslist and see if you can get an older kit with more power. At least 400W/S per head. Take a look at alienbees, they're pretty cheap and pretty good.

Don't expect Profoto's, but 45W/S won't do anything but make it look like you know what you're doing.

Depending on where i'm at, I'm either using my SB-600's, 2400W/S speedotrons, my buddies old Norman kit from the 70's, or Profoto's.

10. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, i would agree with switch.. alienbees seem to be a decent buy.

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alien Bees are OK. The best selling points for them are price and portability.

If you want consistent power output, consistent color cast across the power range, and accurate power settings, you're going to spend money.

My next purchase:
    Elinchrom | Digital Style Combo 600RX Two Monolight | EL 20728.2

That's just two lights and transmitter. I already have stands and umbrellas.

The only reason I'm debating on keeping the bee is that for about $1100 I can get another one, a ring flash, and a portable battery pack. I'm going to wait on that though. Paul Buff is working on the Einsteins, when may solve my problems about portable lighting with power.

And the comment "you can do an ok job with some cheap wireless flashes and umbrellas, but if your looking to open the studio as a legit business, your going to want softboxes and ac strobesyou can do an ok job with some cheap wireless flashes and umbrellas, but if your looking to open the studio as a legit business, your going to want softboxes and ac strobes" is completely false.

www.strobist.com
    www.lighting-essentials.com
    www.zarias.com
    launch Joe McNally

12. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
    i guess I have to start saving up even more :p