Studio Lighting, dont know where to start!!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by LeeLeeMelis, Mar 4, 2007.

1. LeeLeeMelis

LeeLeeMelis TPF Noob!

Maine-but currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi there!I have recently bought started studio equipment (White Lightning X800 strobe, umbrella) I now need to know how to use the stuff!! I’m pretty overwhelmed as I’m not sure where to start. If this is not where I should be asking questions please let me know and I’ll find another venue to question.

-Do I hook my strobe to my camera of my flash meter?

-When I take a reading and the flash meter shows me certain aperature and shutter speed, are these the numbers I put into my camera, my on camera flash or on my strobe?

-I have a small dance event coming up that I’m photographing family portraits with a background, the whole bit. Do I meter on the faces?

-Should I even use my flash on my camera?

I know that’s a lot and I’m sure I’ll have more, any help you can give will be huge. Thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Have you one strobe, two, three etc

The camera will connect to the strobe via either a sync lead, or wireless, infra red etc..

You set the strobes to a setting that you want, and take a flash reading from your strobes, the reading you see on the flash meter you dial into your camera ( you set camera and flash meter to ISO before you take readings )

Then thats it for the basics

If your using different ethnic background of people then a slight f stop ( -2 ) will sometimes be needed, and forr very white people maybe a +1 to 2 f stop.

The power adjustment on the strobes will depend on where they are, umberellas, softboxes etc

Cheers

Steve