Studio Lighting - SB-600 / Opus mono light

Captain IK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay folks, here's my situation...
I have D90, SB-600 speedlight and an Opus Pro OPL H250 mono light.

If I have the sb-600 off camera, fired wirelessly with the D90 in commander mode and the sb in TTL it will not fire the mono light (optical slave)
If I put the sb on the camera it will fire the mono light.
If I use the pop-up flash on the camera it will fire the mono light.
If I take the Sb off camera and set it to wireless / manual mode it will still not fire the mono light.
It seems that when the camera is in commander mode it will not fire the mono light, but it will fire the sb-600. Why would the SB-600 not then fire the mono light?
What am I doing wrong here?

If I am looking for a 2 light setup it seems now that I must either have 2 mono lights in manual mode or 2 speedlights in Nikon's CLS system.
Can I not combine the two systems?

Is it possible the pre-flash when in commander mode is setting off the monolight too soon? Or, are you certain the monolight is not triggered at all?

Prior to using my radios, I attempted to fire 2 optical-slaved SB-20s with a SB-600 and commander mode and this was my problem. Manual mode ftw in my case.

You may be on to something there except that I should hear the recharge "beep" if the mono light fired at all. Whether in sync or not. I will investigate that further though.

Thanks

Is it possible the pre-flash when in commander mode is setting off the monolight too soon? Or, are you certain the monolight is not triggered at all?

Prior to using my radios, I attempted to fire 2 optical-slaved SB-20s with a SB-600 and commander mode and this was my problem. Manual mode ftw in my case.

I think you are right and the preflash is triggering the mono light, but switching the camera from commander to manual I can't trigger the sb-600 off camera..or can I?

So, if I were being smart about this I would buy another mono light two radio receivers and one transmitter and be done with it.
I would use the SB-600 in other situations where only one light was required such as outdoor portrait fill light etc.?
2 lighting systems...2 purposes?

I think the only thing that would concern me with using the SB-600 with the monolight would be white balance. Provided both lights have a similar color temperature then I wouldn't worry about using them together.

Buying radios is an excellent idea, though. I use 2 SB-20s and an SB-600. I have optical triggers on 1 SB-20 and the SB-600 (since it doesn't have a pc connector for the radio) and a receiver on the other SB-20. It was a matter of cost for me as I opted for CyberSync rather than the cheaper Cactus tiggers.

I certainly appreciate your help.
So the radio transmitter on the camera fires the radio receiver on 1 SB-20, then that Sb-20 fires the other one and the SB-600 optically?

Do i have that right?

Yes, exactly.

Now, as Pete said, if you have the dough to pick up another monolight and single-purpose the kits then you will likely be much happier. But, if not, this will certainly work (again, provided the color temperature difference between the monolight and the 600 isn't considerable).

I appreciate the information you and Pete have provided.

I think I'll pick up another mono light for starters. The only time I really need the second light is with indoor studio style work.
The SB-600 works great as a single light source off camera.
Thanks once again to both of you for your input.

Most reactions

Back