Studio lighting

speedshooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, first time posting. I have noticed a slight reddish/yellowish/tanish cast on skintones only when I print my pics-not on computer screen. I use the printers at Walmart-they usually work great. I use 2 soft boxes and an umbrella flash. Help!

#1, check your WB
#2, calibrate your monitor
#3, use real lab where your images will be scrutinized, processed and printed. It'll cost about 0.19 cents for 4x6 vs 5-10cents but your print will be nicer.

IgsEMT, what's a good way to calibrate a monitor?

buy a monitor calibrater!
i had a similar issue with some shots i had printed, they came back with a yellow cast on them

I thought about calibrating it about a week ago and now I will for sure. I've heard about Spyder or something like that. Any others? My white balance is on flash but I always set it manually.

Nikon D300
Nikon 35-70 2.8
Nikon 80-200 2.8
Nikon 18-50
Nikon SB800
Altzo bracket

Last edited:
If the prints are important to you (i.e. professional), buy a hardware monitor calibrator - it stares at your screen and checks the colour for you.

Most screens come by default with the colour temperature set in the 7000s, rather blueish. If you adjust your image colours on a screen set up by this, they'll be relatively yellowish when you print them. While it's not as good as a full calibration, check how to change the colour temperature of your monitor as a starting point - set it to 5500 K.

It could be the printers. If it's a home printout, run a test print and check the colours. If it's a lab - give a sample set of images to print from a range of labs, check the results and see which one you're happiest with.

IgsEMT, what's a good way to calibrate a monitor?
There are number of calibration devices out there.
Spyder
Color Monkey
Eye something :)

The cheapest starting point is lovely $5.00 gray card :D If you don't touch colors on your computer in PP, just exposure, crop, resize, it shouldn't a problem.

THIS is what I goolged...I dunno. Seems reasonable...Experts wanna chime in here?
Seen that, tried it, killed hours doing it, no luck :( LCDs are pain in the ass :D

Here's what you need :)
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cn/index.html

Last edited:
I use the Spyder3 and am very happy with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back