Studio lights- what do you recommend?

Novajet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eades.ws
I'm trying to set up a home studio, but there are so many options out there. I bought this a couple of weeks ago, but it's been too difficult for me to learn with a strobe since I can't see what the result is without taking a picture. I'm thinking continuous lighting might be a better option for me.

So, what would you recommend? I am not familiar with the lingo that much, so links would be very helpful. My budget is about $800.

I use a Canon Digital Rebel, and I like soft lighting for most of my portraits- nothing harsh.

Typically, it is hard to learn flash photography for exactly the reason you mentioned...because you can't see the results. That's why studio strobe lights have modeling lights. However, you have a Digital Rebel. What's stopping you from taking a picture to see what the result will be...and then making changes and trying again...and again...and again until you get it right?

Another advantage of digital is that you can adjust the white balance. Therefore, you can use regular bulbs, fluorescent lights, halogen work lights etc. All you have to do is adjust the WB for the lighting that you are using.

If you do want studio strobes with modeling lights...Alien Bee seems to be the entry level equipment of choice.

Maybe, you could invest in some soft boxes, and/or umbrellas with stands. This would give you more control over the light and you can use them with strobe or hot lights.

These were all taken with flashes bounced into unbrellas. Total cost about $300 with stands. The backdrop stand about $100. The backdrop was a killer at $350, you can do better then that I'm sure.

britt8915.jpg

port01b.jpg

poer13b.jpg

Total cost less then $1,000. Don't need a lot of money and with digital you can experiment forever.

Just my two Canadian cents.

Most reactions

Back