Studio lights?

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
I'm looking at investing in a couple of studio lights and other gear only I don't know a great deal about who are the nikon and canon of studio gear apart from bowens?

Who else would would you recommend and what exactly would you recommend for a second hand start up kit? I have a D70s with a few lenses my budget's about £200/$350

Thanks

Hello

The top makes are Broncolor, Elinchrom, and Bowens. I'd go for Bowens. There's loads of them around and long term maintenance will be cheaper than other brands. Also, third party add ons are usually cheaper and with a greater selection. They come up quite often on ebay and you should be able to come across a couple of monoblocs within you're budget if you're patient, although postage may be a bit of a mare! (A brand new 2x500J kit with brolly, softbox, stands comes in at about £700)

good luck

F.Duddy

ps, don't forget you'll need an adaptor to link up to your D70 if it doesn't have a standard pc socket.

I use Hensel, I'm very happy with them.

Find an old set of Normans on Ebay, those things never die.

My P2000D setup is 20 years old and still firing.

Reflexions said:
Let me put in a plug for Alien Bees...great lights..low price!

Hello,

IIRC, Alien Bees are sold direct from the factory in the US. I would therefore suggest that the chances of finding them second hand in the UK would be, to say the least, slim.;)

I would stick with the brands commonly used in the UK - Bron, Elinchrom, Bowens, Hensel - as the starting point of any search.

I had a look on ebay (uk) and there seem to be quite a few going for very little cash.:thumbup:

Regards

F. Duddy

FuddyDuddy said:
Hello,

IIRC, Alien Bees are sold direct from the factory in the US. I would therefore suggest that the chances of finding them second hand in the UK would be, to say the least, slim.;)

I would stick with the brands commonly used in the UK - Bron, Elinchrom, Bowens, Hensel - as the starting point of any search.

I had a look on ebay (uk) and there seem to be quite a few going for very little cash.:thumbup:

Regards

F. Duddy

I kind of missed the UK part in my original post.

You need to decide what you are going to be using the lights for and how much you are going to spend before deciding on which ones to use. That being said:
Just for occasional use I would go for Elinchrom.
Pro use and the only choice is Bowens.
I've used most studio flash over the years and for build quality, reliability and support Bowens delivers.
If you are looking at tungsten light then it has to be Photon Beard - the original manufacturers of redheads, blondes and brunettes. Worth considering as they are incredibly versatile.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back