Studio: my daughter

the shape of the catch lights don't bother me a bit.
i think this is a beautiful image.
i don't know much (anything) about studio lighting so i can't help there.
i think you've captured her beautifully. :)

i did play though.
just wanted to make those gorgeous eyes pop a bit.
and add some dark edges.

i'll take it down if you like.

jj6vsw

I think it's a very good photo. Nice lighting and a beautiful subject. Love the crop also. Well done !

Hey Jon. Since you didn't mind kalee posting an edit, I thought I would show you my ideas.

I really like this shot and your lighting. The only thing I would really do is tone down the overexposure, as Matt said. Using the curves tool works great. If you just work with contrast, the highlights can remain blown.

jonkd-c.jpg

If you really want to go for the high-key look, I think B&W works great. Probably still needs a lighter background, though.
(100% red channel, reduced levels on background, small curves adjustment on all, slight sharpen after resize)
I put a black border on it to try and keep the blue forum background from tainting it.

jonkd-bw.jpg

thanks for having a go at it Mark...and thanks to everyone. You're ideas are really helping me as I'm trying to refine my studio photog and post processing of studio pics.
I can see what you're going for here mark but I do have to say I find it a bit washed out looking; especially in the lips. There must be a way of retaining contrast at the same time as producing the hi-key effect.
anyway....I was playing with this some more and really like the toned version. I also tweaked the hilight level in curves. Did I tweak it enough?

81719992_1ac50b74e3.jpg

thanks again! :D

Yeah, that was just a quickie as an example, not what I would settle with. I like yours better. I might bring it up a touch, but that could easily be attributed to monitor differences.
High-key is usually washed out, which I don't think works well with this image. It probably should be the intent from the begining.

Most reactions

Back