Studio paint scheme?

Nimitz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am turning one room of my home into a small studio and was wondering what people would recommend for the wall & ceiling color schemes? The room is small (11' x 15') and the carpet is being replaced with wood parkay so it will be easier to move things around and have a solid surface to work on. thanks

I am also preparing a new studio. I have settled on a light to medium gray for walls and ceiling. I have found white sometime reflects too much light back to the subject in areas that you may not want. And a very dark color is not only depressing, but requires too much additional light to be able to work in that it is defeating. So we have decided on a gray color lighter than 18% gray, but not very close to white. If white is a 1 on the 1 to 10 scale and gray is a 5, then about a 3.5 is what I am looking for.

I did the same as John-- our shooting space is a light gray color, with darker ceiling and floor. It allows me to really control the lighting. Just remember that if you have a colored wall, you may end up with a color cast in the images.

From what I have seen, grey seems to be the consensus. My studio and wall color is on my personal blog linked here (just scroll down in the blog to see it)... I do have some issues with reflecting light here and there but I have learned how to use it to my advantage. My old studio had chocolate brown walls and I never saw any color casts.

All the studios I ever worked in, or set up, were painted matt black (walls and ceilings) with black vinyl floor coverings. Any other 'colour' will give you spurious reflections* or colour casts. Total blackout is the only way to go if you want to be able to control your lighting.

*Especially if you photograph shiny things like glass or metal.

Most reactions

Back