Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Studio Type Photography of Hardware/Cabinetry

Equipment I’ve got:

- Cannon Rebel T1i
- Cannon Macro Lens EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 USM
- Aspherical LD XR DIII Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 (If) Macro 62 A14

In the past, I have shot decorative hardware on white background in a light box. I have since switched to shooting outside on white paper given that natural sunlight is far superior (it seems) to what I can achieve with my light box…however I would love to up my light box skills.
cfd2b08a05.jpg

(example from the light box…was very easy to do )

Now, I am trying to shoot a staged cabinet (30” x 48”) that I setup on the ground outside and place hardware on it to make it look like I have put hardware on a true cabinet. Seen here:
cfc4d1bc37.jpg

I then shoot from angle above upside-down and rotate in Photoshop
cfd419092c.jpg

I used the Tamron lens but it was very hard and inconsistent to get a good shot. Whereas my Cannon Macro lens takes great shots almost all the time.

Do I need a different lens? I am happy to spend the money.

Also was looking to get a new camera at some point that would allow me to connect to a laptop for live proofing (it’s a pain to go inside, review the photos and then come back and re-shoot).

Correct! I have just been able to use it. I had some install issues at first, but now it is working!

As far as reading "Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" I will purchase and try to read through it but I do not have generous amounts of time nor am I looking to achieve the best professional studio quality. I would be content with predictably being able to take a shot as well as the third one in my post (which I had to stand on a ladder to get. Hence my interest in a new lens that may allow me to get the whole cabinet from a tripod height.)

Why not build a shooting table instead of standing on a ladder. I just made a similar table with a converted half of a ping pong table. Cost me about $10.00.

I need to shoot down in order to get the right angle. Also the hardware is not affixed to the fake cabinetry. It just sits on top of it so we can swap out for other hardware and shoot a bunch of looks in one afternoon.

Yes..I will do more home-work but am very curious if getting better lights could get me closer to outside light....that way i could setup a station inside where we can do this same/similar shot often and easily...also avoid the cold

Dots of this on the back of the hardware should solve the problem. I use it in the shop all the time. Strong stuff.

That is an excellent looking setup. I'd want to avoid adding tape as I move things in and out so fast. I think I can add a ladder with a tripod permanently to my setup. So I think its more a matter of finding the correct light and lens.

for a simplistic solution of what you are asking for, look for a tripod that has an arm such as Vanguard tripods.
or an arm to add to your tripod, such as this (you add a counterweight to the one end) ==> ALZO Horizontal Camera Mount, Tripod Accessory for Overhead Photography

Then you can put your camera more above the subject, instead of to the side of which you'll get perspective distortion.
you'll need a remote trigger and understand your focusing system.

Last edited:
Correct! I have just been able to use it. I had some install issues at first, but now it is working!

As far as reading "Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" I will purchase and try to read through it but I do not have generous amounts of time nor am I looking to achieve the best professional studio quality. I would be content with predictably being able to take a shot as well as the third one in my post (which I had to stand on a ladder to get. Hence my interest in a new lens that may allow me to get the whole cabinet from a tripod height.)
Set it next to the commode, you'll have it available every time you sit down.

Most reactions

Back