studio question

table1349

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
The wife and I are buying a new house with a finished basement with a Large family room. (21' X 39') The family room is so large that I am going to take a 11' X 21' (interior dimensions) area for an in home studio. 8' ceiling. Due to the landing where the stairs come down that is the most width I can get.

The studio will have one centered west window in it. I am thinking of using that end of the studio for my backdrop and the other end for the work station/gear shelves. That will leave me about 18' of shooting room to the backdrop. I like the idea of the backdrop area having the window, in case I would like to do a little natural light stuff. (Yeah I would prefer a north facing window, but don't think the wife will let me have the whole house turned. :lol:

I would end up with at most, head/ shoulder shooting room with natural light shooting from the width. I guess what I am asking, does it make sense this way or would you use the blank wall for your backdrop wall? I'm not to worried about light leak behind the backdrop as I can install a blackout shade.

I'd make sure that the backdrop is portable so I would have the choice to put it on the short wall or over the window. And yeah, that room is limiting to the size of the portraits you could take. I always advocate using the great outdoors as my backdrop, but that size is still definitely usable!

Now... tell us that you didn't buy this house JUST becuase it had the potential of using one room as a studio... you're SUCH a 'Tog! :lol:

I'd make sure that the backdrop is portable so I would have the choice to put it on the short wall or over the window. And yeah, that room is limiting to the size of the portraits you could take. I always advocate using the great outdoors as my backdrop, but that size is still definitely usable!

Now... tell us that you didn't buy this house JUST becuase it had the potential of using one room as a studio... you're SUCH a 'Tog! :lol:

I plan to install a dual roll holder in the ceiling for a white and a black paper roll. My muslins will hang from my portable backdrop stand. I plan to use the 21' for most stuff. I was just thinking that the window could be nice on occasion, even though I would have to shoot from the width instead of the length of the studio.

No actually the wife saw the house first and came home and told me about it. It's 3100 sq feet with a nice big master suite on the first floor and this huge family room downstairs. Just what she was looking for in terms of a house since we just got the last one married off last summer. Empty nesters buying bigger for future grand kids, holidays etc. :D

She actually came home and said that there was room for me to put in a studio at one end of the family room. Isn't she sweet.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back