Studio Shoot 17 May 2004

Bobman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
No training, No makeup, No PS..... Please comment....Thanks :)

jess01.jpg

viv01.jpg

Good poses and such. Both shots have a wonderful, peaceful quality. Couple of minor things jump out at me though:

1st shot:
- Small blow-out on the forehead
- String or necklace or something is distracting
- Small blemish on right cheek can be cloned/healed
- Ditto for scar on shoulder

2nd Shot:
- Hair cropped out of left side of frame is a bit distracting
- Could do with a bit more saturation to boost flesh tones...or convert to b&w and not worry about it.
- Blown out area on front side of nose
- Having the mouth and part of eye cut through by the cloth is a bit distracting...but I like having the cloth there to add interest, so it's a trade-off

Good poses and such. Both shots have a wonderful, peaceful quality. Couple of minor things jump out at me though:

Thank you for your comments, but got to tell you something....

1st shot:
- Small blow-out on the forehead -
>>>>>>> i agree, maybe too oily on her forehead. no makeup.........

- String or necklace or something is distracting
>>>>>>> that's her bikini string, I would love to remove them.... :)

- Small blemish on right cheek can be cloned/healed
- Ditto for scar on shoulder
>>>>>>> don't do PS at all.......

2nd Shot:
- Hair cropped out of left side of frame is a bit distracting
- Could do with a bit more saturation to boost flesh tones...or convert to b&w and not worry about it.
- Blown out area on front side of nose
- Having the mouth and part of eye cut through by the cloth is a bit distracting...but I like having the cloth there to add interest, so it's a trade-off

>>>>>this I will take note...thanks for sharing.

#1)
I think what distracted me the most is her hand on the bottom of the frame. There is just barely enough to know it is her hand, but not enough for it to give much to the image. just a thought.

#2)
I like this one a lot more. At first I thought it had no major flaws, and i still am not sure if this is major, but
Could do with a bit more saturation to boost flesh tones
I thought that was an interesting idea. I'd like to see it done; but i know i know, no ps etc...

No training, No makeup, No PS.....
#1 could have a better crop (too much right margin and not enough left, top, and bottom margin). I would have included her right shoulder and hands and the top of her head.

I like that triangular highlight on the dark side of her face, but I'm always partial to rembrandt lighting.

A fill light would have allowed color in the eyes. A hair light would have been better still. But these things you can easily add with PhotoShop.

As a pure camera shoot, you did good.

In #2, I have issues with the crop and the scarf.

The models are beautiful.

Here's another one.....No professional training, very little own makeup, no PS, 1 light system.... :)

k05.jpg

Any photo can be nit-picked--even Ansel Adams'. But this photo has so much going for it, that to nit-pick it would be void of real appreciation for the sum of all the good things it has going for it.

I like the highlights in the hair (referred to as a kicker light in the old days).
I like that triangular highlight on the dark cheek (classic 2 O'Clock lighting)
I like the pose.

I miss the catch lights in the eyes from the 2:00 o'clock main light.
I miss the lost detail in the eyes' irises. A front fill light would have made the eyes more vibrant and alive. But a small dose of digital-darkroom editing (PhotoShop) could add these missing elements.

Did I mention that rembrandt lighting is my favorite?

I enjoy viewing your submissions. I'm anxious to see your next batch

Rebel

Thank you canonrebel....will try to PS on it (still learning PS) :)

This one too, no detail on iris n catch light...

kn01.jpg

Bobman, you have a lot going for you......
Good camera
Studio backdrops
Lovely models

Only thing missing are fill and kicker lights

canonrebel said:
Good camera
Studio backdrops
Lovely models

thanks. but i prefer one light style, at the moment......

kn02.jpg

Bobman said:
canonrebel said:
Good camera
Studio backdrops
Lovely models

thanks. but i prefer one light style, at the moment......

kn02.jpg
ooh. I like that lighting style too ;) :drool:

you should post that in the bikini thread in the photo themes forum

Thank you for brightening my day :D

As always, good work, especially with on light. Without expanding on that setup too much, how about trying a reflector, even just a piece of white styrofoam to fill the shadows a touch and possibly provide a catch light for the eyes?

I don't like working with a lot of lights, either. In fact, I usually just use the sun. But I do use a reflector. I think it makes a huge difference. I think it's worth a try. I think you'll like it.

voodoocat said:
you should post that in the bikini thread in the photo themes forum

I agree :D

I like the use of the single light as well - keeps it simple, although I cant help thinking that a reflector might improve it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back