studio with no studio?

alienbee's are awesome. I work at a mall studio taking pictures of kids all day and we use alienbee 1600 lights with shoot through umbrellas (like a soft box). keep the power down and we never have a problem with shutter speed. In fact I do pictures of kids jumping all the time.

Several years ago, I used to use a couple of hot-shoe strobes on stands with Wein optical triggers and umbrellas for animal portraits on location. It worked well for small subjects where the flash could be close enough to the subject for a decent exposure. This might be an option if you already have a couple of strobes that have adjustable power levels. I started out with a couple of cheap Sunpak 383's. The stands and umbrellas can be used with mono-lights later. It's a way to nickel-and-dime your way to a decent system. Good luck.

I would sugget Aliens Bees. They go for about $350 and are awesome.

Oh sorry guys! I thought this thread had died with my last reply and I never saw all of your helpful comments! Thanks. You all have some great information for me and I am looking into everyone of those suggestions. ;)

I found some stuff on craigslist it's just a matter of coming up with the money before it sells!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back