Studio

activeservo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to convert the basment of my new flat into a studio and office.

It's currently split into two rooms, First room 22' x 20', the second 18' x 18' so pretty large area for a home studio.

As I've never had my own studio before, I've a couple of questions.

Firstly, the height of the rooms is about 9' is this enough for a portrait studio?

If not, I'll forget the idea.

If you think it'll be alright, what basic equipment i.e. lighting and backdrops, will I need to start me off. Could you list any recommend equipment.

I'd realy appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark -

9' is plenty of height for a head and shoulders type portrait studio... it might be a little tight for full lengths...but will still work.

As far as equipment, what's your budget? I've always had good luck with Photogenic Powerlights, but there are less expensive alternatives. As a bare minimum, you should have one mainlight, one fill light, and a backlight... a hairlight would add alot of versatility if you can snag one... with the lights, you'll need a stand for each and either umbrellas or softboxes...

As far as backgrounds...what type of portraits? formals usually call for something like "old masters" type backgrounds which can be versatile... unformals call for something different....

Don't forget props as well..... posing tables, chairs, stepstools....etc....

good luck....

Bob

Hi,

Just a helpful note as far as props go. A friend of mine was starting her own studio. She emailed everyone to tell them what she was doing, and she included a list of all the different props she needed. This seemed to work well. You'd be surprised how many people have this stuff sitting in their basement collecting dust, and are willing to help.

Good Luck!
Julie

The important thing to do is to paint all the walls black. This will kill any light spill and stop light from bouncing in from all over the place. The point of having a studio is to be in control of the lighting. You have no control if the walls are light coloured.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back