Studios and rates

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to work more in studios during the times when I can't think of a location to shoot on. I'm sure studios help out a lot when it comes to the location aspect. Not to mention I want to work on portraits which is usually one of the categories in photography studios are known for.

My questions would be how does one find a good rental studio and what are usually good reasonable hourly rates?

And for those that use rental studios regularly, do you have your own lighting equipment that you bring in?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

i think rates will depend on location and how much free space/time the studio has.
im lucky in the fact that we have a local camera/film store less than a mile from my house that converted half the store into a studio.
its not used very often and the owner just did the conversion so he could shoot there.
when i need studio space and the times work out, he rents me the space for $25 an hour. that includes using his backdrops and even lights if i want to.
its a pretty good deal.

There's many options of studios here (but I don't use regularly, see below). My favorite, though I haven't used it nor needed it, is a dance studio that is also used as a photography studio that people can rent.

You can also rent photography stuff such as seamless paper background, etc.
But if you have your own stuff then none of that is needed as you can bring it.

The key is knowing:
- how you are going to photography your subject(s), basically up close, further away, single/multiple people, etc. as this will impact the width and height of the background that you'll need.

I used to use my basement which has a low ceiling. Not a good scenario for full body portraits. But now I just use my upstairs living room (normal height ceilings) or if I need my garage which I'm able to have higher backgrounds.

My background system goes to 10x10 foot system, So I haven't had a problem with anything.

The hourly rates will be completely dependent upon the location and cleanliness and the type of studio you are looking for ...
Something in downtown New York is going to be extravagantly more expensive then in small town in the middle of Iowa.

For instance, the one dance place by me is $35/hr. Versus a local photography studio which is about $380 for half a day (4 hrs).

Last edited:
Thanks you guys. I googled nearby rental studios but without going in person yet I can't get a feel for whether or night I like the set up.Has to be something I just get out the way. Seems to me lately that getting things right is all a matter of personal trial and error.

Apart from the rates I think I'll just save up for my own set up to bring to the studio. Most of the ones I've looked online rent the equipment out almost as pricey as renting the studio time.

Years ago when I first got into portraiture I used to go to those group sessions.
Then a couple times renting it with a few people for our own individual sessions to use the background and lighting equipment. But that was before I started getting my own equipment.
After I got my own equipment all I really need is the proper dimensions space. The high end studios still have more to offer but I don't do this stuff for a living.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back