Stupid employee discount!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Dubious Drewski, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It's created one hell of a conundrum for me. Maybe you guys can help.

So today at work, we received our very first Pentax 50mm 1.4. I saw it on the truck sheet(The list of what has been shipped to our store) and immediately started digging for it in our giant plastic crates. I spotted that green and black box and tore it open right there (Edit: it's a gray and red box, hehe). I was thinking "What's this thing going to feel like?" and "Is it going to be any good compared to my vintage 50mm?".

I was surprised. Pleasantly. It has fantastic build quality for a modern lens and is far more sturdy than any of the other 50mm or 18-55 lenses from the other brands. And this is the kicker: it's half the cost of the other 50mm primes.

I usually avoid fanboyism on the internet and while selling cameras, but I can't help but wonder why people shoot other brands when Pentax lenses are always of such great quality at such ridiculous low prices. The reviews for this lens confirm it; the optics are great too and it's a wonderful piece of glass.

And here's the double kicker: With my employee discount, this thing will cost me $140 brand new. I'm thinking awful things. I'm thinking of replacing my cherished old 50mm with this newer autofocus model. Should I?

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure that manual one won't be completely useless....but, It's your call

3. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately no one can make this decision for you. Obviously if you follow your brain you should go with the new one, but if you follow your heart you'll stay with "your baby" as you put in your signature.

I know this didn't help, but I'm being serious. In the end, an emotional decision is a decision made alone.

4. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh my, and people have nothing but good things to say about it. Oh I think I know how this is going to end. I know how many shots I lose during photoshoots as I poke around for my focal point. Due to the autofocus alone, this lens would triple my efficiency in the studio.

5. King Mango

King Mango TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you can afford it then by all means. Just make sure to have a talk with your old lens first.

Maybe ask how it feels about "experimenting" with another piece of glass? :eek:

6. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Must be good if its better built than the Canon 50mm F1.2, that thing feels like its carved out of rock

just buy it!!

7. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

As a consumer, I am curious about how many times boxes are opened just so employees can handle new products?....and how many are damaged in the process.

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

The number of people who work in the industry and trying/testing things out? All the time. The number that damage something? VERY low.

It is one of the perks of any business (how many car sales people take a different car home every night?), and I for one would not begrudge anyone doing it.

9. deudeu

deudeu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go and shoot and compare.
    The SMCs are different on all the different make of pentax lenses. What is your vintage 50? Is it a M, K, A, M42? You will notice that the colors are different from one generation to the other.

If the 50mm you have is one of the "Special f1.4", the K, or the A, keep them! If the focusing is a problem, just use your employee discount to get a split screen!

Also, if you like the built of the FAs you might want to consider the FA 35mm f2 which is also highly reviewed, same built at the 50, but at least it's a focal length that you don't have, and with the crop factor it's a good focal length to have!

10. deudeu

deudeu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also, if sharpness is your top priority, the FA 50mm f1.7 tends to be sharper than the f1.4.
    The f1.4 is faster and has better bokeh!

11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

It looks like by the time you finished creating this thread, you already knew the answer to your questions .... :)

12. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    DON'T DO IT!!!! IT'S A TRICK!!! :lmao:

--
    I liked King Mango's comment best so far, a piece of what??? Hehehhee!