Stupid Question about the Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Macro Autofocus Lens

nokili

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have this lens? And if so do you use it for anything other than Macro? If so are you using it as a prime?

Just wondering if it's worth the purchase

As always your guidance is appreciated!

~Ash

I use to have this lens and it's fantastic. I used it for portraiture mostly, I love primes. Only reason I got rid of it is I moved to Canon, but do miss it

You have no choice but to use it as a prime lens, it is a prime lens. I have its predecessor, the 60mm 2.8D which is a brilliantly sharp lens. It's an outstanding macro lens, although not as good as the 105mm in that you must get closer to your subjects, and as mentioned above, a great portrait lens, especially on an APS-C camera.

It looks like an awful small aperture to be 2.8

You have no choice but to use it as a prime lens, it is a prime lens. I have its predecessor, the 60mm 2.8D which is a brilliantly sharp lens. It's an outstanding macro lens, although not as good as the 105mm in that you must get closer to your subjects, and as mentioned above, a great portrait lens, especially on an APS-C camera.

Lol I guess my question didn't make sense in the way I meant it to! What I really want is to use this lens for macro and the if I ever get the 105 then I would be using in other ways other than macro. I guess my question should have been more on verstility rather than saying can I use it as a prime... Because that is what it is a prime lens not a zoom lol sorry for that you ate correct in pointing that out :)

It can be used like any other prime lens, it just has the Macro feature added.

It looks like an awful small aperture to be 2.8

Appearances can be deceptive eric. Nikon's shorter focal length Micro-Nikkor lenses have had small front elements for many decades. The old 55mm f/3.5 and 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkors had front elements that were not much larger in diameter than a dime! Anyway...at Infinity the lens is an f/2.8 lens. Here is a flatbed scan of a 45mm f/2.8 Nikon lens the 45mm P-Nikkor...notice the small front element.
large.jpg

I have the earlier 60mm AF-D model macro lens....it's pretty good as a macro lens. The newer AF-S G lens is said to be even sharper, and with even richer color. The "new" Nikkor lens designs give some of the sharpest, most rich color of any lenses Nikon has produced, and what I've seen from the 60-G has ben pretty nice. As to it being worth $519 new....well, that's what it costs. If you use it a lot, then it is worth it.

Most reactions

Back