Stupid Studio Lighting questions that have been plaguing me

canoncassie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay,

I am in a unique situation where I know a photographer who has given me unlimited use of his studio and equipment. The problem is we are both learning the whole studio stuff together.

1. I am having problems getting pristine action shots it seems like if the lights don't fire then the shot doesn't happen at all which limits me to very few shots for one action. Also the just come out fuzzy. I have the shutter speed all the way up to 250 . How do you get good studio action shots?..

2, I am photographing a local band one of the projects I want to work with them on is shooting them in silhouette, how is the best way to create a rim.

3. I have 2 300's and 2 600's how is the best way to utilize them. I am obsessed with clean black and white shots.

4. What is a good resource for learning about lighting?

I would really appreciate any help out there. I am new to this forum, and am looking forward to learning from all of you guys.

Cassandra

are you using sync leads or radio triggers to fire the lights, what are you photographing,what camera are you using, you say you have SS all the way up to 1/250, it seems to me your camera is out of sync with the lights or just unsuitable for the job, if its a P&S your way off the mark and your little OCF is what is lighting the shot and not very well at that hence the blurry pics. H

Okay,

I am in a unique situation where I know a photographer who has given me unlimited use of his studio and equipment. The problem is we are both learning the whole studio stuff together.

1. I am having problems getting pristine action shots it seems like if the lights don't fire then the shot doesn't happen at all which limits me to very few shots for one action. Also the just come out fuzzy. I have the shutter speed all the way up to 250 . How do you get good studio action shots?..

2, I am photographing a local band one of the projects I want to work with them on is shooting them in silhouette, how is the best way to create a rim.

3. I have 2 300's and 2 600's how is the best way to utilize them. I am obsessed with clean black and white shots.

4. What is a good resource for learning about lighting?

I would really appreciate any help out there. I am new to this forum, and am looking forward to learning from all of you guys.

Cassandra

1. the shutter speed should not matter too much as it's the very short burst of flash that will stop the action, not the shutter speed. Use the cameras maximum synch speed (what camera are you using)?. Also have you metered the subject correctly (using a lightmeter)? Don't use the camera's meter in situations like this.

2. I've not done this but I'd have a guess at it. Lets say you have a white background. Put a light behind the subject lighting the background. The light itself should be hidden by the angle you are shooting at or it can be angled up down so the light is out of the camera's view. Meter for the background - or maybe just under the background so it stays white - and your subject will be pretty much under exposed (sillhoutted against the white backdrop). You can change the metering if you want to bring some texture back into the face. So all you basically are doing is under exposing the subject against the bright background. You may not want the background all burnt out though and it may be a case of playing around with the power settings on the lights.

3. Buy a book - do research on the net there's lots of good stuff out there. Also see below.

Position lights to place your shadows and highlights in the right place. Depending on the size of your background you may need two lights to evenly light a white background. You may need a hair light, a key light and a fill light.

Good resources - Free

http://www.prostudiolighting.com/articles.htm

http://www.photographers.co.uk/html/photographic-studio-lighting.cfm

http://www.infoaboutlighting.com/studio-lighting.html

http://www.studiolighting.net/

there are also many decent books on lighting. Check out the "Master lighting Guide for portrait Photographers" by Christopher grey. A very good lighting book discussing much of the basics through to more advanced lighting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
JD

I shoot with a canon rebel xti, and I am almost positive the lights are sync leads, I am pretty much photographing them jumping towards me essentially that is what it is. They are jumping/ falling from a height, and I am having trouble just getting a clean shot.

Do you focus on them before they jump? If so this could be your problem, you focus on them before they jump, after they jump they get to close and out of focus? or is it easy to see thats its motion blur? Could you post and example?

You should not get motion blur. The very short burst of light should see to that. Although you need to meter correctly.

Most reactions

Back