Sub $500 Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by GregR, Jun 16, 2010.

1. GregR

GregR TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am looking for the best bang for the buck on a sub-$500 macro lens for a Canon 450D. If I could convince the Mrs. to just open up the bank account I would have no problems here, but she put me on a budget :(

I have currently been using a 28-105MM Canon on an extension tube and need to move up from that. I find that I typically shoot at the 105MM side of that so would probably be looking at 100MM+. I am not stuck on Canon and I can use EF or EF-S mounts, though would probably prefer the EF in case I switch out the camera body to a full frame.

So... I'm looking for thoughts on what would be a good choice for the budget. Anyone that has recently purchased a lens or is using something that you are able to give good feedback on would be most appreciated. What do you like / dislike about what you use?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

A used EF 100mm f/2.8 macro

or

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro ($409.95 after $50 rebate)
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-90mm-2-8-Di/dp/B00021EEA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276686609&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR…[/ame]

The Tamron has great reviews from lens review sites

3. Wraith72

Wraith72 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to agree on the 100mm macro lens. The only better 100mm Canon macro would be the L version, but it's pricey.

I picked up a secondhand EF 100mm f/2.8 USM lens on ebay for $420. It's a fantastic lens that's not only good for macro photography, but portrait shots as well.

Check out fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom. There are a lot of good deals to be had in their buy/sell forum.

Good luck in your search.

4. Canosonic

Canosonic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Or, if you don't want to get something used get the 50mm 2.5 or the 60mm 2.8 but it's EFS, so if you have a 5D/1D/1Ds, it won't go.

5. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tamron 90mm would be my suggestion. I'm planning to get one eventually, but think I'm going to order me a second body first.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    EF 50mm f/2.5 macro would be the last on my list to get. Build quality similar to the 50mm f/1.8 but without the bargain price nor the faster aperture. It is also not a 1:1 lens unless paired to the life size converter which cost extra $$$. IMO, 50mm is too short for most macro.

btw.. if you do go this route.. PM me. I have a life size converter that I can sell. :lol:

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Tubes or a bellows.

There are even tubes that will allow autofocus.

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    And remember outside of its hybrid IS feature the L lens is no sharper than the original 100mm macro lens. Infact across the range of prime macro lenses on the market there really are no bad performers at all.

To the OP (GregR) I would agree the 90mm would be my choice if I were constrained by budget. Going shorter is certainly possible, but can be harder to get skilled at using at first (esp with insects).
    Note that of the shorter macro lenses only the Sigma 70mm macro is fullframe compatable if that is of concern for yourself.

To NateS - Sigma 70mm macro Sigma 70mm macro Sigma 70mm macro - it works with teleconverters ;) :)

1+ to that as it really supports all of my findings about the canon 50mm macro lens. In itself you end up paying more for the lens and the 1:1 converter than you would for something like the EFS 60mm, Tokina 60mm or Sigma 70mm - each of which would give you a much higher class of lens build and also 1:1 (true) macro shooting straight from the box

9. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your not opposed to MF (and I find I doa l my macro stuff in MF) you could go with some older used nikkors. There are many that focus down real close from the 70s/80s and early 90s that have great image quality, just no auto features

10. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting to say the least. I thought, the T90 was a full frame lens as well, but might be remembering wrong.

Sigma 70mm seems very appealing though. Throw 68mm of tubes on it and you'd be at about 2:1...throw on the 1.4tc and you'd be at nearly 2.5:1 with hardly any dropoff in quality. Is your Sigma 70mm as sharp as all the other macros? Assuming so since I think all macros are tack sharp.

I'll remember this.....I'll be shooting at 1.8:1 soon with my Tamron 180 and if that doesn't satisfy my needs a sigma 70mm will get me much closer. I'm sure that 1.8:1 on a 70mm would be a lot easier to handhold than 1.8:1 on a 180mm as well.....

Thanks for that headsup. :thumbup:

11. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  12. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Not in the OP's price range there isn't. At least not that I have seen.
    Novoflex | Auto Bellows for Canon EOS | BALCAN-AF | B&H Photo
    BALCANAF Novoflex Automatic 6" Macro Bellows for Canon EOS Autofocus Cameras.

:lol:

Here is a decently priced set of bellows. No AF, no aperture adjustment. But with a FD 50mm f1.8 and an adapter ring you would have aperture adjustment.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-macro-bellows-Canon-Cameras/dp/B003EDTG8W]Amazon.com: Fotodiox macro bellows for Canon EOS Cameras, Canon 1d,1ds,Mark II, III, IV 5D, 5D Mark II, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, Rebel xt, xti, xs, xsi, t1i, T2i, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 1000D: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Canon FD 50mm F1.8 Lens Excellent - eBay (item 160438358363 end time Jun-24-10 10:56:11 PDT)

Bower | Lens Adapter - FD (Manual Focus) System to Can | ABEOS

About $130.00 or so for the setup.