Sub $500 Macro Lens

GregR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for the best bang for the buck on a sub-$500 macro lens for a Canon 450D. If I could convince the Mrs. to just open up the bank account I would have no problems here, but she put me on a budget :(

I have currently been using a 28-105MM Canon on an extension tube and need to move up from that. I find that I typically shoot at the 105MM side of that so would probably be looking at 100MM+. I am not stuck on Canon and I can use EF or EF-S mounts, though would probably prefer the EF in case I switch out the camera body to a full frame.

So... I'm looking for thoughts on what would be a good choice for the budget. Anyone that has recently purchased a lens or is using something that you are able to give good feedback on would be most appreciated. What do you like / dislike about what you use?

Thanks in advance!!!

A used EF 100mm f/2.8 macro

or

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro ($409.95 after $50 rebate)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-90mm-2-8-Di/dp/B00021EEA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276686609&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR…[/ame]

The Tamron has great reviews from lens review sites

I have to agree on the 100mm macro lens. The only better 100mm Canon macro would be the L version, but it's pricey.

I picked up a secondhand EF 100mm f/2.8 USM lens on ebay for $420. It's a fantastic lens that's not only good for macro photography, but portrait shots as well.

Check out fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom. There are a lot of good deals to be had in their buy/sell forum.

Good luck in your search.

Or, if you don't want to get something used get the 50mm 2.5 or the 60mm 2.8 but it's EFS, so if you have a 5D/1D/1Ds, it won't go.

Tamron 90mm would be my suggestion. I'm planning to get one eventually, but think I'm going to order me a second body first.

EF 50mm f/2.5 macro would be the last on my list to get. Build quality similar to the 50mm f/1.8 but without the bargain price nor the faster aperture. It is also not a 1:1 lens unless paired to the life size converter which cost extra $$$. IMO, 50mm is too short for most macro.

btw.. if you do go this route.. PM me. I have a life size converter that I can sell. :lol:

I have to agree on the 100mm macro lens. The only better 100mm Canon macro would be the L version, but it's pricey.

And remember outside of its hybrid IS feature the L lens is no sharper than the original 100mm macro lens. Infact across the range of prime macro lenses on the market there really are no bad performers at all.

Tamron 90mm would be my suggestion. I'm planning to get one eventually, but think I'm going to order me a second body first.

To the OP (GregR) I would agree the 90mm would be my choice if I were constrained by budget. Going shorter is certainly possible, but can be harder to get skilled at using at first (esp with insects).
Note that of the shorter macro lenses only the Sigma 70mm macro is fullframe compatable if that is of concern for yourself.

To NateS - Sigma 70mm macro Sigma 70mm macro Sigma 70mm macro - it works with teleconverters ;) :)

EF 50mm f/2.5 macro would be the last on my list to get. Build quality similar to the 50mm f/1.8 but without the bargain price nor the faster aperture. It is also not a 1:1 lens unless paired to the life size converter which cost extra $$$. IMO, 50mm is too short for most macro.

btw.. if you do go this route.. PM me. I have a life size converter that I can sell. :lol:

1+ to that as it really supports all of my findings about the canon 50mm macro lens. In itself you end up paying more for the lens and the 1:1 converter than you would for something like the EFS 60mm, Tokina 60mm or Sigma 70mm - each of which would give you a much higher class of lens build and also 1:1 (true) macro shooting straight from the box

If your not opposed to MF (and I find I doa l my macro stuff in MF) you could go with some older used nikkors. There are many that focus down real close from the 70s/80s and early 90s that have great image quality, just no auto features

To NateS - Sigma 70mm macro Sigma 70mm macro Sigma 70mm macro - it works with teleconverters ;) :)

Interesting to say the least. I thought, the T90 was a full frame lens as well, but might be remembering wrong.

Sigma 70mm seems very appealing though. Throw 68mm of tubes on it and you'd be at about 2:1...throw on the 1.4tc and you'd be at nearly 2.5:1 with hardly any dropoff in quality. Is your Sigma 70mm as sharp as all the other macros? Assuming so since I think all macros are tack sharp.

I'll remember this.....I'll be shooting at 1.8:1 soon with my Tamron 180 and if that doesn't satisfy my needs a sigma 70mm will get me much closer. I'm sure that 1.8:1 on a 70mm would be a lot easier to handhold than 1.8:1 on a 180mm as well.....

Thanks for that headsup. :thumbup:

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tubes or a bellows.

There are even tubes that will allow autofocus.

Not in the OP's price range there isn't. At least not that I have seen.
Novoflex | Auto Bellows for Canon EOS | BALCAN-AF | B&H Photo
BALCANAF Novoflex Automatic 6" Macro Bellows for Canon EOS Autofocus Cameras.

:lol:

Here is a decently priced set of bellows. No AF, no aperture adjustment. But with a FD 50mm f1.8 and an adapter ring you would have aperture adjustment.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-macro-bellows-Canon-Cameras/dp/B003EDTG8W]Amazon.com: Fotodiox macro bellows for Canon EOS Cameras, Canon 1d,1ds,Mark II, III, IV 5D, 5D Mark II, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, Rebel xt, xti, xs, xsi, t1i, T2i, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 1000D: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Canon FD 50mm F1.8 Lens Excellent - eBay (item 160438358363 end time Jun-24-10 10:56:11 PDT)

Bower | Lens Adapter - FD (Manual Focus) System to Can | ABEOS

About $130.00 or so for the setup.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Im suprised no one mentioned the sigma 105mm macro. Am I missing something about this lens that would make the 90mm better?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-105mm-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B0002P19XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276731693&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Medium Telephoto Macro Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Most reactions

Back