Subdued Narratives

FKP007

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Latest body of work. One light and reflector. Images shot at 70 mm, 85mm and 135mm using my 70-200 2.8. One of the reasons I love using this lens is the quality compression and ability to shoot different crops without moving ones position.

uploadfromtaptalk1435535072968.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1435535086183.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1435535093597.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

It is an incredible set, but #2 just wonderful! I love everything about it!!!:1219:

Nice. I've always liked understated, simple-background studio shots with painted-type backgrounds. The monochromatic nature of wardrobe,hair,background all works great together.

your processing is very pleasing and beautiful

I guess I'll be the dissenter. And it's really just one thing and that is the fact that she, other than her skin, blends into the dark background to the point where I can barely see her.

Other than that it's a pretty set.

It's reminiscent of classical painting techniques, which is probably why they did it like that. Had they used a hair/rim light, I feel like it would have commercialized and sterilized the images.

I guess I'll be the dissenter. And it's really just one thing and that is the fact that she, other than her skin, blends into the dark background to the point where I can barely see her.

Although I thank you for the feedback I have to totally disagree. In no way does the model disappear into the background to the point you can barely see her. There is a clear tonal, textural and colour difference between the dress and background and her contours are clearly defined and obviously apparent. Even in the darkest part of the image 1 and 2 (near the bottom) the edges of her dress are clearly visible. I can only think you are seeing the images on a small phone screen or low screen brightness.

Ooohhh......now we're resorting to name calling.

How mature.

Listen chief........I expressed my opinion about one aspect of your pictures and apparently you didn't take it very well. You'll notice too, that I said " Other than that it's a pretty set."

Judas Priest, man........your pictures are viewed by people all over the world and perhaps because I'm the only even slightly negative response you go off. If you can't read someone's opinion about your work without getting upset then maybe you shouldn't post any pictures.

Here's a quarter, go buy a thicker skin.
Well I clearly thanked you for your feedback and simply responded. It's you who came back with attitude about the bigger screen on your fancy Hewlett Packard. So to me, it seems you need thicker skin. I'm all for criticism when the person doing it can give a decent justification for their opinion, which you obviously can't. Anyway enjoy staring at your big screen master editor lol

I can only think you are seeing the images on a small phone screen or low screen brightness.

You intimated I was viewing images on a phone. I talk to people on a phone. I simply told you what I was viewing your images on per your indirect request.

This is absurd. I'm done.
It was a reasonable assumption considering you said you could "barely see her".

And people use their phones for more than just making and receiving phone calls nowadays...jeez.

Done.

I agree with the topic author; I'm on a calibrated screen and there is a clear difference between the model and the background and she is very clearly visible.

Here I come with the "Peace Pipe" :)
The word 'Subdued' in the subject says it all and the author as the artist here is entitled to his artistic expression which has been executed rather well in the shots here.
Having said that, I as a layman will be honest in my remarks that my first initial thoughts were: The images do tend to appear merged with the bg. Also maybe it appears more pronounced with the all black dress!
Since the pics are not OK to edit, would request the creator if he can edit and upload one with a complementing BG? Just for a learning curve please?

Jasii

Ps. Don't take me to the cleaners for this please! :D

Last edited:

I agree with the topic author; I'm on a calibrated screen and there is a clear difference between the model and the background and she is very clearly visible.
Thank you Dan. I too work on a fully calibrated dual monitor setup and having a subject disappear into the background is a somewhat elementary mistake that I wouldn't have made considering the time it took to put the whole thing together. If people are finding the subject disappearing into the background and can't see the tonal difference then I can only conclude the monitor settings must be off.

Here I come with the "Peace Pipe" :)
The word 'Subdued' in the subject says it all and the author as the artist here is entitled to his artistic expression which has been executed rather well in the shots here.
Having said that, I as a layman will be honest in my remarks that my first initial thoughts were: The images do tend to appear merged with the bg. Also maybe it appears more pronounced with the all black dress!
Since the pics are not OK to edit, would request the creator if he can edit and upload one with a complementing BG? Just for a learning curve please?

Jasii

Ps. Don't take me to the cleaners for this please! :D

Submit an image with a complementing background? And how do you propose I do that exactly? Would you like me to chop her out and stick her in field of flowers maybe?

FKP007:

It's quite clear that you take it as an affront if anyone says anything the slightest bit negative about these images. Here, Jasii is seeing the same thing that I mentioned with regard to the dark areas blending together. He has quite politely asked that you post a different edit and your response seems to have upset you yet again. I can pretty much guarantee you, just by the way he worded his request he means no offense. But I cannot speak for certain for him.

This whole thread is supposed to be about photography. How we all approach different shoots and subjects and how we all interpret the resulting images. The way we all perceive things can be radically different from one person to the next. Just as an example, I, for the life of me, can't understand the fascination that some photographers have of late with the sort of filmy, hazy processing that I see in so many photographers ports. It's almost as if they were trying to hide something. But I know it's simply the current thing.

These pictures are being seen by people from all walks of life. There are probably some that looked at these and thought...'OMG, these are terrible'....and posted nothing here in the forum. Conversely, I'm sure there were some that looked at them and thought....'these are fantastic..' yet posted nothing. Look at the number of views versus the number of posts.

You cannot, in all seriousness, post your work in a place viewable by people from all over the world and think there aren't going to be those that view it and find something that they perceive as a fault or just plain don't care for it. This is a very subjective art form. We all don't like the same thing. We all don't see things the same way.

And don't forget that in my original post while I did say there was some dark area blending, I also said......otherwise a very nice set. Remember? Why do you think I said that? I said it because it is.

Regarding the subject and the background blending in the dark areas.....want me to post some of the many where I have done the same thing? I would bet that of all of the shooters here on this forum 100% have some images we could post showing the same problem.

If you want to continue to insist that there is a clear delineation in all of these images then I guess you can certainly do that. More power to you.

However, that won't change reality.
Firstly I was done with this post awhile back but more specifically done with your bs. I have no issue with critique but the inital attitude came from you and your gloating about your calibrated monitor which quite honestly, made you come across as a douche. I simply implied you maybe using a phone to see the image just as i am now as I write this response (many people do the same) however that statement obviously annoyed you hence the arse response. Secondly I really don't need a lecture from you about photography being a subjective art form, I know this all too well and most likely better than you. I also understand the importance of feedback and constructive criticism however that doesn't mean I or anyone else have to agree with the critique and have every right to challenge it without people throwing a wobbly.

I still disagree and like someone else has stated on this post, they see a clear distinction between background and subject. This particular set is not exclusive to this forum and is posted in various other places too with the critique detailing other things such as slightly yellowed skin tones and loss of some details in certain shadow areas all of which I can concur with.

Anyway I'm done talking about the image and with you mate, I think it's fair to say we disagree on all points so let's leave it at that.

P.S. I have no intention of reediting and uploading any other versions as, quite frankly, I can't be arsed.

Most reactions

Back