Subdued Narratives

And btw the hazy flat processing is quite simply an aesthetic that traditional film produced and has a visual beauty to it that a lot of people connect with. However that purely is a subjective taste.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Beautifully done.

Sometimes I've found that photos don't always show up as well on a site like this as they do on the photographer's website, and of course people have varying computers and monitors and devices they're using to view them. I think what Jasii might have been asking about was to learn more about the process (a 'learning curve') since the dark dress against a dark background is subtle and might make it harder for a learner to see what was done to achieve these photos. A description can be helpful but some people learn better visually.

Subdued narratives...white-hot controversy!!!

Just as a thought: I am wondering about difference baseline system gamma of Windows versus Macintosh....

What is the OP editing on?

Yes I need help Bryston and you need a slap.

But anyway for those who are interested in the look it's really a two part process that is as much about the inital capture than it is the photoshop work.

1) Soft focus. I shot it all at 2.8
2) Centrally composed subject
3) simple loop or rembrandt style lighting soft with fill
4) painted backdrop giving dense thick rich textures and a matt finish
5) subject posture is soft, fragile and almost ballet like.
6) subject expression subdued
7) styling in keeping with period paintings

1) simple clean up no major contouring or d and b as soft focus has killed any imperfections anyway
2) add noise/grain
3) reduce contrast and muddy the blacks a little with either cool or warm tones
4) warm skin simulate candle light
5) add texture to image low opacity soft light layer mask away areas
6) crop to square composition
7) colour grade as you like
8) selectively sharpen eyes and small details.

Hope this helps.

Subdued narratives...white-hot controversy!!!

Just as a thought: I am wondering about difference baseline system gamma of Windows versus Macintosh....

What is the OP editing on?
Editing on dual monitor MAC setup and I have a matt LG 26" calibrated monitor that I use for checks. I do a fair amount of work for local magazines here in the Middle East a lot of stuff goes to print.

I read through parts of this thread, so before I even took a close look at the actual pictures, I re-calibrated my monitor just to be safe. I have a 28" IPS monitor calibrated with an x-rite colormunki Display.

even given that its a dark subject against a dark background, im not personally having any trouble viewing the separation between the girl, the dress, and the background. the bottom of the dress does blend into the background more than the top end, but it seems to work well for these shots. #2 is definitely my favorite of the set.

I read through parts of this thread, so before I even took a close look at the actual pictures, I re-calibrated my monitor just to be safe. I have a 28" IPS monitor calibrated with an x-rite colormunki Display.

even given that its a dark subject against a dark background, im not personally having any trouble viewing the separation between the girl, the dress, and the background. the bottom of the dress does blend into the background more than the top end, but it seems to work well for these shots. #2 is definitely my favorite of the set.
Thank you for your input. Yes the bottom of the dress does match closely with the darker tones of the background, done intentionally to create a sense of emergence from the dark almost like a bottom sectioned vignette. X-rite rocks I use the passport for all my shoots!

Okay folks, let's play nice or the big, bad moderator will lock the sand-box!! Remember, critique is subjective, and simply because someone posts something about your image with which you do not agree does not make the critique bad, wrong, or invalid.

I guess I'll be the dissenter. And it's really just one thing and that is the fact that she, other than her skin, blends into the dark background to the point where I can barely see her.

Other than that it's a pretty set.
I agree with the topic author; I'm on a calibrated screen and there is a clear difference between the model and the background and she is very clearly visible.
Thank you Dan. I too work on a fully calibrated dual monitor setup and having a subject disappear into the background is a somewhat elementary mistake that I wouldn't have made considering the time it took to put the whole thing together. If people are finding the subject disappearing into the background and can't see the tonal difference then I can only conclude the monitor settings must be off.

Chill dude, some people just have poor visual acuity.
Great work. Love them all. If there's any quibble it would be the way the butterfly prop sits unnaturally in the second image.

Okay folks, let's play nice or the big, bad moderator will lock the sand-box!! Remember, critique is subjective, and simply because someone posts something about your image with which you do not agree does not make the critique bad, wrong, or invalid.
Agree and if some responds to that critique with their opinion that too doesn't make it bad.

Im new to this forum and seriously hope that these handbag throwing sessions are not the norm. As for the work I love it, its fantastic very well done and the colour and tones are awesome well done.

Being new I agree with Jason above.

I read through this whole mess and I don't understand what all the flap is about. One guy says that the dark areas lose definition and the OP didn't take it very well and it escalated from there. Are all non complimentary comments met with an argument on this forum? I thought that was what you're supposed to do, express your take on a posted image.

... I thought that was what you're supposed to do, express your take on a posted image.
That is what you're supposed to do; sometimes one becomes so attached to one's image(s) that it's hard to remain objective about them and then "discussion" ensues. It is however NOT the norm.

... I thought that was what you're supposed to do, express your take on a posted image.
That is what you're supposed to do; sometimes one becomes so attached to one's image(s) that it's hard to remain objective about them and then "discussion" ensues. It is however NOT the norm.
Firstly I'm not so attached to the image that it bothers me when people critique, it's just a photograph of hundreds one has taken. If you read the post fully you will see that the chap didn't like me questioning his critique.

I'm also new to the forum and I hope it isn't one of those where if you disagree with someone's critique, they will throw a tantrum and try to make you out to be the villain. I dislike the idea that just because someone gives you critique, you're required to agree with it and change your photos to their liking.

I also can't stand it when people think that expressing their dislike of a classic film look is a valid critique and somehow makes your photos less meritable. I also believe a lot of the bad attitude stems from jealousy.

You always get trolls on forums just looking for any reason they can to discredit someones work that the vast majority like, and because the OP appears more knowledgeable or skilled.

Every forum has those particular group of members who always leave sarcastic and insulting "critiques" (not saying that the chap did this on my image but in the short time I've been here I've read some quite simply, rude critiques) and then have a huge tantrum when they called out for being douchebags.

This kind of thing causes people not to post any work as they start to believe that the forum can be more detrimental to their work than it is helpful.

If someone wants to critique that's great but don't throw your dummy out of the pram if your critique is challenged, and please don't start comparing monitor sizes and calibration dribble.

Anyway let's not continue to stir the pot with further ramblings, it's kind of old and boring now.

nice set. like 2

Most reactions

Back