"Subject is too dark"....

i do have the bulb setting i believe...but i never used it, not knowing what it is. so essentially on the bulb setting...i can hold down the remote shutter button for as long as i want?

Exactly. If your remote is like mine it will have two settings. Press & hold, and press once to open, again to close.

While the shutter is open on bulb there should be a counter on the display of you camera so you know how many seconds it's been open.

Also if you have a bright light in the frame you'll still underexpose, take a reading with your camera on the darkest part of the scene you wish to reproduce then transfer the settings to your bulb shot. H

I usually do it like this:
(example)
Meter what I want to meter for, look at meter - it's telling me 30 seconds at f/2.8. I want to shoot at f/8. To get the same exposure my meter is giving me I need to leave the shutter open for 240 seconds. Using the remote I click it once to open it, sit there and wait for the counter to get to 240, then click it again to close it.

At the very least manual focus, it's the AF that is getting you, Even SLR's fall victom to this. After that invest in a fast prime 2.8 or bigger.
Ok, i'm glad that someone actually caught this.

Who cares what the camera thinks is best, it's an idiot, cameras are dumb and miss that mark most of the time anyway. Switch your lens to manual focus, and it will go no problem.

.... I ran into the same problem with my D40 when using it for star streak night shots. Camera Said it was too dark...etc. Just like the gentlemen with the canon said..you need to set the camera to bulb to engage the shutter speed for longer than 30 seconds. However, you dont want to be holding down the shutter for that long and Nikon makes a cheap wireless remote ML-L3 which can be used to open and shut the shutter during the shot. This is nice when doing longer shots at night. Nights shots for me have been between an aperature of f/8 - f/11 and a 5-8 minute shutter speed. A low ISO is also ideal to get a clear shot, the D40 will only go down to 200. I hope this helps!

Very lightly edited exposure f/10 at I think 6 minutes. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/3146032079_8542bcd862_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back