Submitting photos to publications...

navy2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do I copyright my digital images and what is the best way to put captions on my photos when the only editing program I have right now is Kodak Easyshare?

Any tips? I have the 2007 Photographer's Market so I have seen the submission guidelines for individual publications, but it doesn't talk much about copyrights (a little) and captions.

Thanks.

As the photographer, you own the copyright just by taking the image (unless you are working under a contract that states otherwise). If you want (and are in the US), you can send a disc of images to the national copyright office and they will keep that copyright on record as proof...but that's not necessary.

As for captions, I would think that you could include that with your submission for or E-mail documentation. I don't think that many publications would want to to actually put a caption over or into the image.

Hello. I am new here. I have been taking photos since the 4th grade and I love it. I now have several photos publised in a small literary magazine as either cover art or illustrations. I also have one photo that is a reprint in a different literary magazine. Both of these took their photo submissions through the internet.

I have been trying to branch out, but have had trouble getting accepted.

I have found some magazines I would like to submit to, but they want mailed submissions. I did send one submission, but I don't know if I layed everything out correctly.

Do any of you know (or know where I can find) a general layout for photo submissions? I have dabbled in writing as well and I know there is a cover letter needed and there are formatting sytles that need to be used in order to get looked at by an editor. I am asuming there is something similar with photograhpy submissions.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks for your reply. I have checked specific magazine guidelines and some are very good in telling what they want, but others aren't.

I sent out my first mailed photo submission this past week to Sandlapper, but their guidelines weren't clear. Even after asking the edtior for more specific information, I still feel that I did a sloppy job in my formating, because she either didn't see the questions or didn't feel it was worth her time to answer them.

My husband stated to me that there might be some general guidelines that professionals know and that these more general magazines all ready expect submitters to know them before submitting their photos. He states this based on his submitting his writing to magazines.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back