Suburb Photography Tips?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like landscape and nature photography most, but there isn't a whole lot of that around here. Its just house after house, road after road, there is no end! Besides traveling, what are some ideas to photograph in the suburb area? Also any galleries I can look at for inspiration? (Suburb related)

The thing that always strikes me about suburbs is their sameness... the repetition of patterns in some of them is very interesting...

I don't know about resources, but I do know you can do interesting work in them.

hmm thanks, that is a little interesting... it was super foggy last few nights ago (not foggy often here), maybe 200 foot viewing distance... And there were no cars on the road, looks kinda creepy...but no camera at the time :(

I dont have any macro lenses, I have tried some up close photography, but i dont wanna go on anyone else's lawn lol... I got some in my backyard and frontyard now im bored.

hmm thanks, that is a little interesting... it was super foggy last few nights ago (not foggy often here), maybe 200 foot viewing distance... And there were no cars on the road, looks kinda creepy...but no camera at the time :(

That is what you are missing out on. Always have a camera and a creative mind. Ten bucks says you will find amazing images in your area. Just have have to look with a creative eye. Maybe try your area's Christmas decorations

Love & Bass

I sympathize and recommend traveling. I find suburbs to be the most hostile to photographers. I was visiting a friend in the U.S. and walked uphill on a road to get a shot of the tall buildings downtown. A man came out of a house and wanted to know what I was doing. "Taking a picture." Of what? "Downtown." Why? "I think it looks neat." He left but he went to a neighbor's house and pretty soon both were watching me from a window. I was really tempted to get a shot of them.

In the city and in the country it's better for photographs.

I was really tempted to get a shot of them.

That would of been a really fun picture to see. Two crazies peering through their horizontal blinds in the window with the minivan parked in front of the house.

Google 'Gregory Crewdson', an American photographer who shoots elaborately choreographed small-town life. Should be good for some inspiration. Night shots during the blue hour could be interesting in the suburbs.

But my best advice would be to get on your bike or in your car, and go out to find those landscapes. Or wildlife. Or both. Just get out there and pursue shooting what you love most.

Surely there things you can see that would be interesting... orange leaves? Bare tree branches against a brilliant blue sky?

Kneel/lay on the sidewalk and take a picture of the repeating driveways.
Snap a picture of a kid's bike laying on the grass.
Get a picture of the dusk light reflecting off something (leaves, flowers, front door, etc).

Is there a park in your neighborhood? Take pictures of the playground equipment from interesting angles - like up at the sky through monkeybars.

... suburbs to be the most hostile to photographers. ...
... In the city and in the country it's better for photographs.

Hm, maybe get shots of old people bending over doing yardwork?

This is a tough one.

That is what you are missing out on. Always have a camera and a creative mind. Ten bucks says you will find amazing images in your area. Just have have to look with a creative eye. Maybe try your area's Christmas decorations

Love & Bass

that is my project for the next couple weeks, shooting xmas light displays.

hmm interesting ideas, though most of those are hard to find, they would be interesting to shoot.

Google 'Gregory Crewdson', an American photographer who shoots elaborately choreographed small-town life. Should be good for some inspiration. Night shots during the blue hour could be interesting in the suburbs.

But my best advice would be to get on your bike or in your car, and go out to find those landscapes. Or wildlife. Or both. Just get out there and pursue shooting what you love most.

Man I really like his stuff !! Even without so much of the special effects he puts on it. His composition is awesome!!

if a more natural setting is your liking, google todd hido, he's got some crazy interesting suburban night shots.

Most reactions

Back