No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So what is a critique?

_How and when should it be done?
_How should it be presented?
_When is it successful?

What works for you in both giving and recieving critique?

the problem is, that often you do not know what the person posting the image expects/wants.

successful: when the OP learns about what others think about his image without being mortally offended. ;)

i know this is a very simple way of thinking, but that is the way i am.

How:
First off I tell the person what I think they have done right in the shot and what I like about it - I consider this very important and put it first as it puts people in a more relaxed and less defensive frame of mind
Then I go on to note what I don't like and what areas I think could be improved on - then I go on to suggest how this might be done if I know how to do it (if not I simply say I don't know how to).

As for when - well personally I consider anything in the galleries barring the for fun ones to be fair game for comments and crits. There are some in the fun section that I will comment on occasionally, but I recegnise that these ones tend to be where people might not be shooting at their best.

As for presentation I consider this a 2 part game - firstly a person that posts photos and just photos is hard to comment on - especially when I try to adise about change to the technical aspects - I mean was it a digital or traditional shot, was it shot with a point and shoot or an SLR, was it taken in rushed or bad conditions what were the settings of it - aperture, ISO, shutter speed - shooting mode etc....
If these things are not said I will often ask the OP what they were in order that 2 things might happen:
1) I learn of a usfull setting to get an effect on a shot
2) I can be more helpful towards the op - for example if they shot with an all auto point and shoot most of the tech advice is not going to work as they can't change those settings.

When it works - when the comments are constructive and educational and I would also say complimentary. A totally negative lean to a post is not as helpful as it makes the reader feel defensive and also more likley to consider the post spitfull -even if that is not intended, so I try to avoid simply listing out the errors and how to change them

edit - unless the op specifically states what they want from comments or where they already know weakness is I just post all that I think I should - that is to say I don't worry about what they might want. They have not told me that there are any limits so I comment without them - composition, technical, lighting, colours etc.. they get everything that I can comment and know about

I think I've learned my lesson and will probably keep my opinion to myself from now on. Unless my opinion is specifically asked for. I will still give general technical advise also but no opinions, those are dangerous.

A critique happens when a critic and a photographer love each other very much.

It should be done when the mood is right and both parties are receptive. Sometimes it's very sweet and loving and sometimes it's rough.

It should generally be presented in private, and sometimes with the lights on.

It's usually most successful when both parties get what they want or need out of it and neither one feels guilty the next morning.

very bad! did that once! she never showed me any of her images for over a year following that incident!

I think I've learned my lesson and will probably keep my opinion to myself from now on. Unless my opinion is specifically asked for. I will still give general technical advise also but no opinions, those are dangerous.

if you ever stumble across any of my images ... comment... also personal opinions... be rude but fair.

if you do not like it, tell me, i might cringe, but still it is valuable input.

if i want love and kisses, i will phone up my mum, not TPF :p

if you ever stumble across any of my images ... comment... also personal opinions... be rude but fair.

if you do not like it, tell me, i might crigen, but still it is valuable input.

Good for you, I feel the same way.

It should be done when the mood is right and both parties are receptive. Sometimes it's very sweet and loving and sometimes it's rough.

It should generally be presented in private, and sometimes with the lights on.

It's usually most successful when both parties get what they want or need out of it and neither one feels guilty the next morning.

:lol: For a moment, I didn't know what was going on.
But allegorically all correct. I worry if I seem too dismissive with my critiques.

Overread ~ are u a teacher in real life? if not u may have missed ur calling!

Alpha ~ too funny!

When? as often as possible
How? factually, honestly, & respectfully
When is it successful? When the OP learns quality information which they can apply to future photos :sillysmi:

hehe you are the second person to think me a teacher - nope just someone who thinks that one should share what they know with others.

And for the sake of consistancy -
When I comment on a shot I often lean away from photoshop advice past suggesting a lighting or levels change simply because it opens up a whole new level of skills and technicallities - unless the op asks for it of course.
Besides I always say where in a shot you might do things differently for "next time" because there often is a next time for many - maybe not the same subject, but similar conditions and lighting and if they shoot and make a mistake that they made before that means they are not learning - so I like to offer that advice.
And even if the op does not "need" that advice (they are a pro who just slipped up or it was something that they had no control over -like lighting angle) then others who view the shot can still learn

The aim of a crit should be to help the photographer improve.
If this is to happen then the photographer first has to try to explain what he/she was trying to achieve*.
Only then you can determine whether the image is successful or not and start to give advice.
More often than not (and you see it happening on here all the time but I won't name names) people think they are giving crits but what they are in fact doing is merely pushing their own ideas of what a 'good' photograph should be. That is to say they merely state how they would have taken the picture.
This does not help anyone. People should be encouraged to find their own approach and style, not be pushed into copying someone else.

*Thinking about what you are taking and why you are taking it is the first step to improvement. And it's never easy.

Observations/feedback on Exposure, General composition, sharpness at focal point, appropriate use of depth of field, and distractions to start... then I guess if the subject of the image moves you in some way you could mention that and why...

if you do not like it, tell me, i might cringe, but still it is valuable input.

I agree very much with this. I think anyone can give C&C on their overall impression, after all, you dont have to have a masters in photography to know what you like and dont. In fact I often go to friends and ask them specifically if they like or dont like techniques I am trying out. I know they cant give me technical C&C but they can tell me how it makes them feel.

Its successful if the OP has the capacity to grow and learn.

Lets assume that people reply to requests for comment on photos to help the poster (and not to showcase their own brilliance).

That being the case, it really depends on why the photo was posted. If the person is looking for criticism then criticism is what you should give. If the person is looking for compliments then that is what you should give. If you can't deliver then don't.

So the next time I post photos for comment I am going to clearly specify that I am looking for comments on what could have been done to get a better result. Hopefully that will encourage criticism of the sort I am looking for.

cheers,
david

<ps. please don't be shy in telling my what a brilliant post this is. I am looking for compliments on this one>

Most reactions

Back