Successful Criticism

I think I will just stay in there then. This forum has become for professionals only.

I hope they don't come to the nature section - I can't compete with those L loaded pros ;)

I hope they don't come to the nature section - I can't compete with those L loaded pros ;)
I just miss the snapshots gallery. It was safe there. No pressure at all. :lol::lol::lol:

I just miss the snapshots gallery. It was safe there. No pressure at all. :lol::lol::lol:

Chiller,

The galleries were cool before to post in, they are cool now. A few months ago it was impolite to criticise without a request indicated for C&C and it's just as impolite now. Do what you like to do where you like to do it. I think some people don't have the necessary skills to understand when a critique should take place- when requested.

I'm just going to keep posting what I like, where I like for the reasons I like.

So sue me.

Chiller,

The galleries were cool before to post in, they are cool now. A few months ago it was impolite to criticise without a request indicated for C&C and it's just as impolite now. Do what you like to do where you like to do it. I think some people don't have the necessary skills to understand when a critique should take place- when requested.

I'm just going to keep posting what I like, where I like for the reasons I like.

So sue me.

Many moons ago, when TPF was new, you could post anywhere, get good honest critique, without the bull headed attitude. Trust me man, 90% of the stuff I learned was from the old(not age) members here. Everyone used to keep their PM boxes a welcome tool for private lessons. I do that now. I will help anyone with anything, and because Im self taught(sorry that is taboo amongst the critiquers, one reason I dont critique) if I can not help the person, I will find them the info they need. Im willing to share what I have learned.
I take the pictures the way I want to, and it is the way I see the image. I dont want to take pictures like Joe Blow(he is still here aint he). If my greens are off in a shot, let me know cause my eyesite is bad, but dont try to change my photo to look like someone elses. Half the people critiquing here, dont even post pics. Some are still eating Sugar Pops, and watching cartoons. If I really want help with a photo, I will go to somebody I can trust for an answer...Like Hertzy, JonMikal, or Arch, or Woodsac.(sorry did not mean to single you guys out) Guys who know their sheeit.

Many moons ago, when TPF was new, you could post anywhere, get good honest critique, without the bull headed attitude. Trust me man, 90% of the stuff I learned was from the old(not age) members here. Everyone used to keep their PM boxes a welcome tool for private lessons. I do that now. I will help anyone with anything, and because Im self taught(sorry that is taboo amongst the critiquers, one reason I dont critique) if I can not help the person, I will find them the info they need. Im willing to share what I have learned.
I take the pictures the way I want to, and it is the way I see the image. I dont want to take pictures like Joe Blow(he is still here aint he). If my greens are off in a shot, let me know cause my eyesite is bad, but dont try to change my photo to look like someone elses. Half the people critiquing here, dont even post pics. Some are still eating Sugar Pops, and watching cartoons. If I really want help with a photo, I will go to somebody I can trust for an answer...Like Hertzy, JonMikal, or Arch, or Woodsac.(sorry did not mean to single you guys out) Guys who know their sheeit.

Them and a few others. I learned my lesson on critique- I'll live with my crimes forever. I've learned a lot more by keeping my mouth shut and paying attention. AND posting.

But all you said is my point. It's just the wave. Hang and wait for the next set.

:thumbup:

Chiller, don't listen to some who say you need to be a professional in order to pass a GOOD critique. This may well be the case when you go read Photography in Uni to later in life make a living out of it.

Most here just share a passion, though.
And this forum exist for the sole reason that people can meet internationally (unthinkable when I was a teenager and young adult, to so easily meet people ALL OVER THE WORLD just to share a common interst!, so we should be all thankful to the medium we may use here!) and exchange their views.

And I still understand abraxas's initial question as one that wants to know how critique can be made successful here, on this very forum, so that the entire forum atmosphere is not put into danger any time anyone dares to say "this photo has flaws".

Your photos don't have flaws, Chiller!
So continue to happily post them all over the place. You are so good a photographer, you won't hear such words. And if someone says "Ugh, what a subject, all dark and sinister", you can chuckle and think "Right-o, just what I wanted!" Where's your problem. And why say "OK, I only post to 'Just for Fun' from now on"? Why? I don't really understand. There's a lot of "just sharing" going on in the other galleries, too. Where is all the constant negative critiquing, I wonder? I don't see it.

But I do think that this forum actually needs the amateur "critics", those that, albeit self-taught, feel they can say something (useful, helpful) about someone else's photo, for if those weren't here, 98% of all threads would get 0 replies and that would be it. What would be the use of showing one's photos around, if they pass hands by a silent crowd and would get back to you uncommented by anyone? What would that feel like to you?

What is visual art but sharing one's own view of the world WITH the world? Who wants to share something and NOT get anything back, not even a nod? 0 replies would mean "not even a nod". Do we really want that???

Them and a few others. I learned my lesson on critique- I'll live with my crimes forever. I've learned a lot more by keeping my mouth shut and paying attention. AND posting.

But all you said is my point. It's just the wave. Hang and wait for the next set.

:thumbup:

Your right too....there have been some crazy waves here, and Im sure terri, Big M, and some of the other 03ers can share some stories. Another passing fad in our lives that will take us to a new journey. (damn, that was deep. Might have to keep that for a song. ):lmao:

Some are still eating Sugar Pops, and watching cartoons. If I really want help with a photo, I will go to somebody I can trust for an answer...Like Hertzy, JonMikal, or Arch, or Woodsac.(sorry did not mean to single you guys out) Guys who know their sheeit.

I must say (and this might be a generation thing or just me;)) I have never really approached anyone on any forum to directly ask for crits to me work - I just (for what ever reason, its too late for me to put it into words) don't consider it proper to pester someone and force them to look at my work and say "how did I do". I just prefer to post and see if anyone will comment; and I don't think I am alone.
I know that there are many here who don't like to crite peoples posts out in public for what ever reason and I respect that, but I would urge them - as a kindness - to look out for those budding photographers who are trying their best to learn and occasionaly drop them a line of comments (either in public or pm) - it just seems to me that that is sort of the way the pms should go.

And as for that comment - what is wrong with cocopops and anime?
;)

... I have never really approached anyone on any forum to directly ask for crits to me work - I just (for what ever reason, its too late for me to put it into words) don't consider it proper to pester someone and force them to look at my work and say "how did I do". I just prefer to post and see if anyone will comment; and I don't think I am alone.

I know that there are many here who don't like to crite peoples posts out in public for what ever reason and I respect that, but I would urge them - as a kindness - to look out for those budding photographers who are trying their best to learn and occasionaly drop them a line of comments (either in public or pm) - it just seems to me that that is sort of the way the pms should go.

A couple hints here;

If you want some type of critique, say so in your post --C&C requested.

If you read the notation C&C appreciated, in someone's post then do your thing. If not, be respectful, DO NOT ASSUME the photo is there to have your way with.

If C&C is NOT requested and you like it, say so- maybe why. If C&C is not requested and it 'SUCKS', then don't comment. Find it in your heart to say something encouraging to them or go find some one looking for C&C.

If you post and nobody says anything and you want comments, bump the post. If you want someone's opinion in particular, then PM them.

OR learn to be your own critic and advance your art. Post because you like to.

I can say I do to most of that Abraxas already ;)
though thanks for the advice.
The only bit I don't tend to follow is this:

"If not, be respectful, DO NOT ASSUME the photo is there to have your way with."

I tend to not do this unless the photo is in the
"Just for Fun section" as the other section I see (and have done since I came here) as specific areas where people post work to both show it and also get the views of others on - both in likes and in crits.
I think the only ones that might take issue with this (and this is only from reading around these crit threads) are those older members who see the jsut for fun section as an area for "Failed" shots or for those that are not what they consider "good". I don't agree with that view, I see it not as a bloopers and pets thread but as a free one to show works where you are happy and confidant enough not to want the crit advice of others.
That is how I am seeing the setup of this forum - I hope I am right

I can say I do to most of that Abraxas already ;)
though thanks for the advice.
The only bit I don't tend to follow is this:

"If not, be respectful, DO NOT ASSUME the photo is there to have your way with."

I tend to not do this unless the photo is in the
"Just for Fun section" as the other section I see (and have done since I came here) as specific areas where people post work to both show it and also get the views of others on - both in likes and in crits.
I think the only ones that might take issue with this (and this is only from reading around these crit threads) are those older members who see the jsut for fun section as an area for "Failed" shots or for those that are not what they consider "good". I don't agree with that view, I see it not as a bloopers and pets thread but as a free one to show works where you are happy and confidant enough not to want the crit advice of others.
That is how I am seeing the setup of this forum - I hope I am right

Then one of us is not understanding.

You "HOPE" you are right? :biglaugh:

** a better thought out wording of my view**

If the OP just posts some photos in a list and nothing else or posts, talks and at no point specifically requests to NOT get any crits on the photos and they are in one of the general galleries all I can take as a refrence to comment is the description of that section
e.g. for wildlife its:

"For all your outdoor shots, which may include your encounters with wildlife. Post for discussion and feedback, including general critique."

so to crit is part of that section, if they post there and don't want it they have to tell me that.

** a better thought out wording of my view**

If the OP just posts some photos in a list and nothing else or posts, talks and at no point specifically requests to NOT get any crits on the photos and they are in one of the general galleries all I can take as a refrence to comment is the description of that section
e.g. for wildlife its:

"For all your outdoor shots, which may include your encounters with wildlife. Post for discussion and feedback, including general critique."

so to crit is part of that section, if they post there and don't want it they have to tell me that.

Ok. Little words. WITF are you?

I must say (and this might be a generation thing or just me;)) I have never really approached anyone on any forum to directly ask for crits to me work - I just (for what ever reason, its too late for me to put it into words) don't consider it proper to pester someone and force them to look at my work and say "how did I do". I just prefer to post and see if anyone will comment; and I don't think I am alone.

And as for that comment - what is wrong with cocopops and anime?
;)

Right now, I have been talking to a few members through PM, one is here and two are on another forum. It is not really techy talk but one wanted to know how I achieved a certain photo, one was curious as to how I did my IR shots, and another is brand new to photography, and was asking questions like...how do you know when to use what shutter speed and blah blah. I have no problem answering them, but they are all , I guess you could say embarassed to ask on the forums. Maybe it is a generation thing, I dont know. I dont even know their ages.
But I know a lot of members, especially the ones I have known for years on here, dont have that problem helping others.

And.....oh man...see? Ya got it all wrong. It is not anime.:lmao::lmao: That is new school schtuff. Cartoons are old school. And personally, Im a Frosted Flakes guy. We eat that in the crypt all the time. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back