Sudden thought

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Scurra, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been thinking about buying a new webcam and have been looking around various online stores to see what is available.

Then a friend mention something that made me think...

Could I use my little compact sony digicam as a webcam? It is a 3.2 megapixel DSC-P32.

Does anyone have any idea if this is possible or if not can anyone suggest an affordable decent quality web cam.. I don't really want to spend over £50 and it would be cool if it had a built in mic.

Ta

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know about your camera in particular but I have seen quite a few cheapo "3-in-one" cameras. They take digital still photos (poorly), digital video (poorly) and also act as a web cam.

From what I have seen web cams are cheap like borscht anyway...so it shouldn't set you back too much to try one out.

3. Johnathan

Johnathan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Like Big Mike said, it depends on the camera. They usually stick the buzzword 'webcam' on the camera somewhere if it's capable. Otherwise, you can get a cheap webcam for around $20 these days. But be warned, you get what you pay for.

4. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    Uhh I generally find that if they take video - you can use them as a webcam.

One thing to note - if you are sitting it on top of your monitor- you will need something so that you can position it to point at you, as it doesnt have its own little stand...(Being short myself - when I tried it - mine went straight over my head)

5. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hehe good tip... thanks guys... I'll see if i can find something that'll turn my cam into a web cam and also keep an eye out for a decent web cam as well....