Sue (2 portraits)

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by NJMAN, May 20, 2007.

1. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here are some recent portraits of Sue, a new model. C&C Welcome! Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh those are nice. Her eyes stand out like crazy. I love the shirt again with the grass and her hair just like in the one withyour daughter. :)

3. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Altho the model is attractive the images have some significant downsides.

IMO, the poses are strained. In the first one she is missing an arm and the pose emphasizes the wrinkles around her waist that might be construed as a little excess weight. The grass is strangely blurred and doesn't look natural and the image is very contrasty.

The second one she has one arm and that one is chopped off at a funny place. Again, grass is strangely blurred.

Did you use on-camera flash as filler? That might explain the brightness of face and the fall-off on torso?

Please save images so exif is preserved.

Sorry.

4. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Traveler,
    I did not use an on-camera flash. It was taken in the shade, and I adjusted the exposure a bit afterward. She naturally has a very fair complexion. The strange background blur is probably from me cloning out some bad patches of grass. I can do a better job at that, but this was a bit hurried. Also, I increased the saturation on the grass a little to make it a little brighter green. Thank you for the detailed critique! I need to work on more of those finer points. Thats the only way I'm going to get better.

And thanks for the comment, kathi! :D

5. JubbaKing

JubbaKing TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the angle of the shot and her expressions are nice. The cropping off of limbs isn't at the joints so the crops don't bother me much. The light on her face is soft and flattering. I think the color is nice but I'd prefer a little more warmth to them.
    As for posing, I do think she looks a little uncomfortable. The pose itself is nice but it needed some fine tuning to make her look more natural. Soemtimes this involves making the subject feel a little uncomfortable.

I think her back is hunched a little too much. Had she straightened her back her shirt wouldn't be as wrinkled and would make her look thinner. Also by sitting up, her shoulder wouldn't be pushed towards her ears which I think is what makes her look uncomfortable the most in these.

She needs more curvature to her pose as well. A turn of the head, a roll of the hip, etc. etc. Had she turned her face to her right in the direction that the light is coming from, it would give her an S like shape and the light on her face would have more pleasing wrap around her face and/or pattern as opposed to it's more current split lighting.

6. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Jubba! She is not the most relaxed person in the world when it comes to posing. She and I can both atest to that. I appreciate the good tips on curvature and body position. I definitely need to check more of these subtle things when I am composing the shot. Still learning the do's and don'ts of good portraiture. Thank you very much. :D

7. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great color!

8. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Njman,

This is just one of those situations where it may have been just impossible to get a reasonbly good representation of her skin and also expose well for her clothes and the background. Perhaps she needs to be posed in a lighter shirt/top so that the dynamic range of the image is a little compressed through the important areas.

Lew

9. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the additional comments Deadeye and Traveler! :D

10. JubbaKing

JubbaKing TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's nothing wrong with the exposure. She's in shade so there is not a large amount of dynamic range to worry about. Wearing a lighter colored shirt would distract from her face which at the moment, is instantly brought to the viewer's attention. This is nothing but a good thing. Her neck and torso are darker because her hair is blocking the light. If the images are warmed up slightly then her skin would look just fine.

11. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    jubba is right about the dynamic range, in fact most scenes we encounter day to day only have 6 stops difference in them. just make sure you don't have some ridiculous difference and you'll be ok.

and i agree that the exposure is fine.

12. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Jubba and newrmdmike! You know, I was thinking the same thing, I tried to look at these from a first time viewer's perspective and the first thing that immediately draws my attention is her face, and especially her eyes. And in a portrait, thats exactly what you want the viewer to see first. You comments are very much appreciated. :D