Suffering from "photographer's block".

You might want to check the terms of service here, you are not supposed to post pictures you didn't take.

You guys get the point. The photos have been taken down.

Actually, you're not even suppose to post work from other people. You should only post links to the work where ever they have it hosted.
Boo-hoo, this is the Internet. The Internet doesn't know about BS like "copyright" and "terms of service", nor should it. It is an open technical system devoid of these human-conceived depravities.

Rant off.

Even though I agree with Epp, I removed the photos so a flame war wouldn't start. Can we please stay on topic?

Last edited:
I hate to go off topic, but copyright and terms of service (whatever that means) is not bs. As a photographer I am respectful of other photographers images. I expect that same respect when using my images. An open technical system devoid of these human-conceived depravities (whatever that means). Is destined to fail in the long run.

)'(

So getting back to the subject...

I agree on the points on content, Anubis. I used to think that landscapes just sucked, but over time I've come to realize it's just that a picture simply can't see all that your eyes do... nor can it capture your feelings, the smell of the air, the feeling of the breeze on your face, the sound of the birds in the trees, etc.

There's a lot missing in a picture that makes the scene seem wonderous to you, but boring as snot on a 2d 3x5 print. :) Therefore, you have to find ways to either bring those emotions and feelings into the shot, or rely on things that can make an otherwise unexciting 3x5 interesting.

Things like depth objects in the shot that lend depth... paths carrying the eye from one picture to another... really interesting lighting (usually dawn/dusk)... textures and patterns... etc.

I think what fails most for people is just "pictures of some fields and some trees". If there is nothing in your shot other than nature doing nature's thing, it won't tend to be interesting. You have to find a compelling subject to make the focus of the picture and have the nature as the background. Nature, by itself, tends to be kinda dull. :)

These are just my observations and rules of thumb. They do not work all the time, nor are they necessarily "right". Just something more to work on.

BTW, also ... usually when people get into a funk about their pictures sucking... I frequently find this means that the person has gotten to a point where their eye has gotten better than their ability to capture what they see. It's a good thing. If you can bear slogging through it, when you're done, your skills will have caught up to your eye and you will be beyond a plateau of skills and capabilities and ready for the next one.

The composition does take a part in how the pictures come out.

I think the problem (at least with these) is that they are too dark--in the inderexposed kind of way--if #2 was brighter it would be like a path leading to another world, and #3 just has to much empty space.

If the pictures were more exposed it would let the mid wander instead of thinking about how dark it is. Like #2--it looks like it was a crappy day looking at the path--but up at the sun its a nice clear day.

Invest in a tripod (if you dont have one already) and try using longer shutter speeds or larger apertures (not so great for some landscape photography but could look good in some pictures.)

I think you do need to start looking at diffrent subjects to shoot. Especially since you are limited in where you can go. But we have all gone through dry spells, it goes away.

I think you do need to start looking at diffrent subjects to shoot. Especially since you are limited in where you can go. But we have all gone through dry spells, it goes away.

That was my thinking exactly. So far I've been playing with off camera lighting a bit. I'll post some pics in the general gallery when I get a chance.

Most reactions

Back