Suggest a movie for me....

Just watched the new Die Hard movie. I was a little wary of it because of all the third rate retreads lately, but it kicked ass. Non-stop action from minute one. I'd say it was better than the original and that's saying something.

If you want a great classic, look for Prisoner Of Second Ave.

Tears of the Sun - Bruce Willis - war

Fallen - Denzel Washington - horror/thriller

Seven - Brad Pitt/Morgan Freeman - crime

Kiss the Girls - Morgan Freeman - mystery

Along Came a Spider - Morgan Freeman - mystery

I could go on for days but these top the list

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada – Tommy Lee Jones: I liked this film a lot, but it's very heavy and maybe a bit crud for some.

Elizabethtown – Somewhat of a chick flick, but I like it

Across the Universe – saw it last week, sill not sure if I liked it or not

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert - just saw it over the weekend, liked it a lot and it was nicely filmed

3:10 to Yuma – thought it was good

I did not think The Good Shepard was that bad, but very heavy and an old store line of how absolute power corrupts absolutely

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert - just saw it over the weekend, liked it a lot and it was nicely filmed
Did you know that a lot of that was filmed in Edmonton? I was going to rent it the other day but passed.

I did not think The Good Shepard was that bad, but very heavy and an old store line of how absolute power corrupts absolutely
I think it would appeal to Americans in an older age bracket...who remember some of the political happenings of the 60s & 70s etc.

My Anthropology teacher was just talking about a movie called Apocolypto....anyone seen that one?

yea course... the film causes much debate with the critics (as did mel gibsons other controversial film The passion of the christ) but as a bit of a critic myself here's my run down...

The film itself is very good, it has a simple storyline set in an unusual setting which is a good combination. The film is subtitled as its set in the final decline of Mayan culture, which may put some people off, but dont let it... there really isn't much dialogue in the film.

The reason the film has a few bad reviews is 1) it has alot of violence in it 2) it is historicaly inaccurate...

My answer to these is 1) of course its violent its set in a time of unsettled tribal domination... and well people had large blunt instuments to hit you with... secondly its a mel gibson film... the sound of people screaming should be expected :lol: 2) Historical inaccuracy is partly irrelivant if you just take the story for what it is. Even i knew there was confusions with the Aztecs, but as i said before the story is a simple one, the colours people wore etc don't make enough difference to the overall plot.

Overall... very entertaining, fast paced and rewarding film.

well.... you did ask :lol:

OK, you asked...

Soldiers and Angels (if you can find it)
Andrei Rubliov (Tarkovski's masterpiece)
Solaris - The original by Yuri Tarkovski, very long and slow but beautiful nevertheless
Devil's Backbone
World's Fastest Indian

Oh, and I loved the Motorcycle Diaries!

Oh, someone off the Hollywood trodden path :) :)

Here's a couple of Gems for you.

Strictly Ballroom - GREAT Movie

"Jean de Flourette" &
"Manion of the Spring" (the sequel)

I remember strictly ballroom from the times when i myself was still a dancer! very funny and interesting movie! :)

how about a good ol' ozzie comedy? The Castle

"If I say I'm an oilman, you will agree"

There will be blood is great. Lewis' performance is incredible. But I really don't know if it needs a bigger screen than your iPhone.
Ratatouille is also great; makes you feel good, and is a well made movie.
And speaking of animation: I like The Incredibles....perfect for an a flight.

Or is there a genre you prefer?

pascal

"I drink your milkshake! *slurp* I drink it up!" -- great performance

Have you seen the Christopher Nolan film, 'Memento'? That's a pretty decent flick.

If you want a feel good movie I like, An Unfinished Life with J-lo but dont let that discourage you. If you like musicals I love the mvie Once about a musician trying to make it big. It stars the 2 people that wrote and sag all the songs. I love the soundtrack. Comedy you cant go wrong with Office Space and I just watched Gone Baby Gone and thought it was real good.

Btw, now that I have my iPhone, I'm really not entirely sure that subtitles are out of the question on this screen....converting Motorcycle Diaries now so I can test my hypothesis! :p

Most reactions

Back