Suggested Lens for D70S

LincolnClark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need help on purchasing a lens for my D70S. I am shooting alot of my daughters fast pitch softball and NASCAR races and am finding that the lense that came with camera 55-200 just is not enough. Some have suggested a 70-200 2.8. Love the camera and having alot of fun and willing to spend that 1,500-1,700.00. Brand? Nikon. Imported or US?

I'll throw in a vote for the 70-200mm VR Nikkor. Awesome lens. Get the US version, otherwise Nikon will not warranty or service the lens.
Are you OK with the 200mm reach of your old lens? That's the only drawback, 200 might not be long enough for NASCAR, it'll be fine for softball, though.

What about the 80-400 VR. Its not 2.8 but should give you a decent range and allow you to get real close to subjects

80-400VR focuses slow, not my first choice for sports.

Agreed. The 80-400's not bad for wildlife but it's way too slow in the AF department for sports. The 70-200 is legendary for its speed, sharpness, and accuracy. If you can afford one, get one.

Definately go for the 70-200mm. It has VR, which is wonderful, and it's not a DX lens, to you focal range will actaully be 105-300mm, which will allow you a good bit more zoom than what you have now. This lens in a bit heavy, but you get used to it. It's a VERY high quality lens that has the works. And just for kicks, the autofocus works at the speed of light!

Hope this helps!

-John

forzaF1 said:
Definately go for the 70-200mm. It has VR, which is wonderful, and it's not a DX lens, to you focal range will actaully be 105-300mm, which will allow you a good bit more zoom than what you have now. This lens in a bit heavy, but you get used to it. It's a VERY high quality lens that has the works. And just for kicks, the autofocus works at the speed of light!

Hope this helps!

-John

He has the 55-200 now, the 70-200 will not provide any more reach than he has. The 1.5x crop factor still exists on the DX lenses.

Most reactions

Back