Suggested starter to intermediate equipment?

Ant&Ree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello.

Sorry to do this with the first post, but if the ends justify the means!!

I have always had an interest in photography and used to do it in my spare time when I was in high school. I am looking to "get back in to the loop" so to speak but am a little blown away by the range of equipment available.

Basically I am looking for a decent SLR Camera with interchangeable lenses but am not sure whether to buy a digital camera or not, and also a high resolution printer to publish the finished projects.

I do a lot of graphic design and fantasy adventure graphics (previously only for web pages) but am looking to print them and display them in local exhibitions.

So what would you all suggest?

ty x

If you decide not to go digital and you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, then I recommend that you take a look at the Nikon N75. I bought one (my first 35mm) a few months ago.

For the printer, I don't really have a recommendation about a specific model, but I replied to a post in the past pointing out some of the features that I wish I had. It might help you think about what is important to you. Here is a link to the other post: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2875

When you think you know what you want, do a search for it on the internet. There are reviews everywhere about all of the different kinds of printers, cameras and camera accessories. They will point out the pros and cons of the item.

Good luck.

Ant&Ree said:
Basically I am looking for a decent SLR Camera with interchangeable lenses but am not sure whether to buy a digital camera or not, and also a high resolution printer to publish the finished projects.

I do a lot of graphic design and fantasy adventure graphics (previously only for web pages) but am looking to print them and display them in local exhibitions.

Digital SLRs seem to be the answer, a Canon 10D or a Rebel D. They use a variety of lenses. One thing, they're quite expensive! The advantage with them is eliminating the need for scanning. A decent SLR (like the Nikon N75, as it was suggested earlier) would also do the trick but then you will need a good scanner.

As for a HR printer, I'll have to let that question open to someone else, more qualified than I am.

Good luck!

If you go film you can get Nikon N80 (my stuff) or similar at ebay for around $200. New they cost about $350. I have a great slide and negative scanner the Minolta Dimage III under $300 as good if not better then the more expensive scanners. So Around $500 you can get a film camera and scan pic onto the computer. Digital DLR start at a grand. Printers? Epson IMO is the brand, and for $80 the stylus 820 probably some other number now, I got it a couple of years ago, is superb. As good as my $400 Epson 1280 but I needed 11x14 print capacity the 820 does up uo 8x10.

Most reactions

Back