Suggestion on first DSLR?

Worthington

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All,

I've been trying to read a bunch online and there's just a plethora of information I don't understand. I really enjoy taking pictures recreationally and will likely take a college course sometime soon to learn more.

All that said I'm ready to buy a DSLR and I am very torn on what to get. It seems D90s get tons of rave reviews but the age of the camera is a concern to me. It would be frustrating to get it then see something better come out shortly after.

A couple questions that have come to mind. First I want something I won't out grow for quite some time. If there is more complexity to it, fine -I'll learn it in time.

Second I see a ton of DSLRs and I can't help but ask myself... Although I can afford it, do I really need a D90 or equivalent? How much of difference is it really going to make in image quality?

What cameras should I be looking at? If I went with something in the $500 range instead of 1k, am I still going to be happy or will I regret it?

Lastly for reference I'm coming from a simple HP 8MP pocket camera.

buy the Canon t2i. It's right between those $500 and $1000 price points and you wont regret it.

The image quality, capabilities, features and overall package while giving you access the the full line of EOS lenses makes the t2i a very awesome camera to own.

Easy and simple to learn on, but not handcuffed so you will have plenty of room to grow. And because all EOS lenses work on it, you can get yourself a large collection of pro-quality lenses that you can use even after you out-grow the t2i.

I suggest the t2i for anyone looking to get into DSLR.

Forget the camera and worry about the image. If a camera isn't good enough tomorrow then it's not good enough today. Contrawise, if it's good enough today then it should be good enough tomorrow.

In other words, pick out some lenses and find a camera that fits them.

Mike Johnston over at The Online Photographer blog did a few articles a few months back, focusing on choosing a camera. One of the biggest problems first time buyers have is getting hung up on a feature or a couple of features, without really,truly understanding if those said features will be of genuine importance to them. He pointed out that it's easy for the first time buyer to get overloaded with tech specs and information analysis and just,well, overwhelmed with a head full of tech talk and specifications and features. Gah!!! So--don't do that! Listen to Mike_E.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys... So how do I choose a lens?

I don't know if it helps but things I like to take pics of are: Close shots of nature (flowers, waterfalls, water etc), mountain or beach vistas (sunsets etc), cars, abstract shots and lots of pics when I go out with family/friends.

buy a 50mm f/1.8 for starters.

Every brand has one, they're always about the least expensive lens any company makes, and they're perfect for all-around shooting.

Every new photographer should learn with a 35 or 50mm f/1.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back