Suggestion on selecting a DSLR and Lens

ssjsushil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm new to photography and greatly enthusiastic to learn and explore more in this field. I'm looking to buy my first DSLR. With a little research, I came up with the below choice of equipment:

DSLR:
1) Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera
2) Nikon D5500 DSLR Camera

Lens:
1) AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
2) Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II Macro Lens

I would greatly appreciate if you can suggest me a good DSLR and a Lens to start up with.

Thanks.

I'd get the d5300 cos it's cheaper. Lens wise it's generally considered less zoom is better quality in similar priced ranges. I'd go 18-140 Nikon in this case. I may even try get d5300 with 18-105 kit lens if I could get it cheaper and put savings at a tripod and remote

I'd get the d5300 cos it's cheaper. Lens wise it's generally considered less zoom is better quality in similar priced ranges. I'd go 18-140 Nikon in this case. I may even try get d5300 with 18-105 kit lens if I could get it cheaper and put savings at a tripod and remote

Thanks for a great suggestion. I'm thinking to go with your recommendation. I really liked the pics on your Flickr account.
Thanks again :)

Thanks for a great suggestion. I'm thinking to go with your recommendation. I really liked the pics on your Flickr account.
Thanks again :)

One last thing to clarify.

When I compare the specs of both D5500 and D5300, I noticed the below difference in the ISO Sensitivity:

D5500:
ISO 100 - 25,600
D5300: ISO 100 - 12,800 Hi-1 (ISO 25,600)

Being new to photography, i'm having hard time in understanding if D5300 is lacking in terms of ISO. What does Hi-1 (ISO 25,600) mean?

Please pardon me if this sounds too basic.

Thanks again for helping me out. Greatly appreciate your suggestion!!

Basically it means the real iso on d5500 goes to 25600 but only 12800 on d5300. This is one stop. In theory it should mean iso on d5500 is slightly better, but you won't be using these crazy iso numbers often and it's doubtful that even if you do that there will be any noticeable real world difference

Hi 1 means the camera increases the iso using software, like brightening up on a computer

Like all camera makers today when they come out with new model the upgrades are not big.
The D5300 is an excellent camera, very close to the D5500.
If money is tight then the D5300 is definitly a god viable option.
I wouldnt worry about the 18-200mm lens, this is a super zoom lens and super zoom lenses are all known to be soft.
The 18-140mm is a good kit lens, excellent starter lens.
So D5300 with the 18-140mm if you want to save some poney in pocket
D5500 with 18-140mm if moeny si less of an issue.
Both cameras are excellent with small advancement to the D5500

I like to buy used lenses to save a bit of cash sometimes, so get a new D5300, used 18-140 and 35 1.8G. Its a good kit to start out with.

Hi 1 means the camera increases the iso using software, like brightening up on a computer
Thank you. Im going to take the D5300 and the Nikon Lens.

Like all camera makers today when they come out with new model the upgrades are not big.
The D5300 is an excellent camera, very close to the D5500.
If money is tight then the D5300 is definitly a god viable option.
I wouldnt worry about the 18-200mm lens, this is a super zoom lens and super zoom lenses are all known to be soft.
The 18-140mm is a good kit lens, excellent starter lens.
So D5300 with the 18-140mm if you want to save some poney in pocket
D5500 with 18-140mm if moeny si less of an issue.
Both cameras are excellent with small advancement to the D5500

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to take the D5300 and the Nikon Lens.

I like to buy used lenses to save a bit of cash sometimes, so get a new D5300, used 18-140 and 35 1.8G. Its a good kit to start out with.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to take the D5300 and the Nikon Lens.

D5500, for the touch-screen and the capability to touch-to-focus, the newer sensor, and the Nikon 18-140 zoom lens would be my suggestion. I would rather have the newer, better body, with the touch screen, no matter what lens I put on the front of the body.

From Ken Rockwell's review of the D5500:

"This is the first and only touch screen ever in a Nikon DSLR, and it's a significant step forward in speed and usability. I can set many things with a single tap that used to take several button pushes clicking-around a screen with a touch controller.

Not only does one tap select among numerous options or zoom and scroll playback, I can flick up and down in menus to see all the options. It's a real touch screen like an iPhone; it looks great and works great with the softest touch and instant response.

With its touch screen, my D5500 suddenly makes all my older DSLRs like my
D810 feel like 1970s PCs before the mouse was invented. No longer do I need to click up/down/left/right a zillion times to get someplace on the screen; with my D5500, one tap and I'm done."

I watche the Fro Knows Photo video of the D5500...the touch screen is a useful update to Nikon's mid-line enthusiast's camera. He like it a lot, and found uses for it.

Here's my review of the D5500: Nikon D5500 first impressions... Photography Forum

I agree that the D5300 is a better value, but I got the D5500 anyhow. You do lose GPS with the 5500, which is too bad, but you gain in battery life at least.

BTW, body shape on the 5500 changes slightly too, and I like the 'feel' better. IMO. YMMV

Most reactions

New Topics

Back