Suggestions about buying a new camera.

amandah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I plan on taking college photography courses and I know that they require a specific function for certain cameras but I won't be in college for at least another year. I know what I want in a camera, I just need help figuring out which camera's are best to do the job.

I want a camera that can take picture's clearly and precisely, as if i were to blink my eyes and that would be the picture. I want a camera that can take clear pictures in a certain limited amount of light, and that can take clear close-up pictures as well as far away. I would rather have a camera that takes good close-up pictures because I don't plan on taking pictures of anything far away, but if I want I'd like to know that my camera could still handle it.

If anyone knows of any types of cameras that sound suitable, please let me know :wink:

Thank you!

Any. Preferrably less than $1,000, but I will spend any amount for the perfect camera.

I would recommend gettting a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's about $650 and you would also need a memory card for about $50.

I would recommend for close up the Canon 50mm f/2.5 which doesn't zoom but would be nice in lower light situations and that's about $240

Thank you very much :D I will definitely look into that!

Check with the college first. I know at my old school, you were not allowed to use digital first. A beginers class or maybe two were pre-req's you needed AT THE SCHOOL before you could take the digital course.

sobi said:
Check with the college first. I know at my old school, you were not allowed to use digital first. A beginers class or maybe two were pre-req's you needed AT THE SCHOOL before you could take the digital course.
Yeah but if that's the case it's super easy to get a cheap, high-quality film camera.

I've seen pictures taken with the Nikon D50 and I really like the way they come out, it's hard to decipher what type of camera I want without seeing the way it takes pictures.

amandah said:
I've seen pictures taken with the Nikon D50 and I really like the way they come out, it's hard to decipher what type of camera I want without seeing the way it takes pictures.
ANY of the cameras are capable of taking stunning shots. Photography is 99% Photographer and only 1% Equipment. Of that 1%, I'd say at least 80% is in the lens not the body anyway. The camera's only purpose is to get out of your way and allow you to transform what you see onto film or sensor.

For a Digital SLR, I'd look at the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT). Go to a store. Hold both. And whichever feels better in your hands, buy and don't look back. Stick with the 18-55mm kit lens - the Nikkor is a fantastic lens and the Canon is usable. They'll get you a long way.

That sounds like a good idea :)

And I looked at your pictures, electrickiisses, and they came out wonderful !

As far as Nikon's are concernd, check out the D50, D70s, and D80.

Re: College photo courses. Once you've decided, but before you buy, a letter to the course instructor should provide a yes/no on whether the rig will be acceptable for the course.

i got the Canon Digital Rebel XT :) it's so amazing, i just have to get used to using it.

Most reactions

Back