Suggestions about buying a new camera.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by amandah, Aug 7, 2006.

1. amandah

amandah TPF Noob!

I plan on taking college photography courses and I know that they require a specific function for certain cameras but I won't be in college for at least another year. I know what I want in a camera, I just need help figuring out which camera's are best to do the job.

I want a camera that can take picture's clearly and precisely, as if i were to blink my eyes and that would be the picture. I want a camera that can take clear pictures in a certain limited amount of light, and that can take clear close-up pictures as well as far away. I would rather have a camera that takes good close-up pictures because I don't plan on taking pictures of anything far away, but if I want I'd like to know that my camera could still handle it.

If anyone knows of any types of cameras that sound suitable, please let me know :wink:

Thank you!

2. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

What's your budget?

3. amandah

amandah TPF Noob!

Any. Preferrably less than $1,000, but I will spend any amount for the perfect camera.

4. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

I would recommend gettting a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's about $650 and you would also need a memory card for about $50.

I would recommend for close up the Canon 50mm f/2.5 which doesn't zoom but would be nice in lower light situations and that's about $240

5. amandah

amandah TPF Noob!

Thank you very much :D I will definitely look into that!

6. sobi

sobi TPF Noob!

Check with the college first. I know at my old school, you were not allowed to use digital first. A beginers class or maybe two were pre-req's you needed AT THE SCHOOL before you could take the digital course.

7. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

Yeah but if that's the case it's super easy to get a cheap, high-quality film camera.

8. electrickiisses

electrickiisses TPF Noob!

i own a nikon d50 and its amazing :)

best thing ever.

its my baby.

9. amandah

amandah TPF Noob!

I've seen pictures taken with the Nikon D50 and I really like the way they come out, it's hard to decipher what type of camera I want without seeing the way it takes pictures.

10. electrickiisses

electrickiisses TPF Noob!

well if you would like to see some photos taken by my nikon d50 you can just go to http://electrickiisses.deviantart.com
    let me know what you think.

im guessing you would love to feel and hold the camera before you buy it.

you should definatly do that. :)

11. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

ANY of the cameras are capable of taking stunning shots. Photography is 99% Photographer and only 1% Equipment. Of that 1%, I'd say at least 80% is in the lens not the body anyway. The camera's only purpose is to get out of your way and allow you to transform what you see onto film or sensor.

For a Digital SLR, I'd look at the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT). Go to a store. Hold both. And whichever feels better in your hands, buy and don't look back. Stick with the 18-55mm kit lens - the Nikkor is a fantastic lens and the Canon is usable. They'll get you a long way.

12. amandah

amandah TPF Noob!

That sounds like a good idea :)

And I looked at your pictures, electrickiisses, and they came out wonderful !