Suggestions and Information on a DSLR.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Atlas77, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know there have been many help threads on a first time SLR but this is more personal so i made my own thread

A bit of background: Ive been interested in photography because i do a lot of art, my father was also a photographer with a pentax film camera with about 4 or 5 different lenses. My sister has a pentax film camera that she used for photography class and "lost interest" in photography because of a bad teacher which ruined it for her.

I'd like to start doing a wide variety of things before i set my mind on one thing such as city landscapes, nature, random things, a variety of action sports i do for fun, etc. Basically the choice for me is between nikon and canon (as usual) and im not quite sure if i should get a body and buy a seperate lens that would work the best for me or just go for a kit. So far the most cameras that have came up in my mind (under 1000$) are:

Nikon: D40, D60, D80,

Canon: Rebel Xsi, Xti, 40D,

Other suggestions would be great and used is okay too and if you have any photography book suggestions that would be great

Thanks

2. dwol

dwol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Have you thought about going for a Pentax camera body and using your father/sisters lenses? Pentax bodies are pretty good too.

Im not sure about Nikon as such, but I know the kit lenses that comes with the Canon 40D is pretty good (from what i've read.)

And I've heard the Nikon D80 is a great DSLR.

Maybe you will have to research more to find out what you really want. :)

3. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah i keep going back and forth between cameras ive read guides on the internet, have looked at prices over and over again and have still not been set on one camera

4. dwol

dwol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What do you really want to take photos of the most? out everything you like taking pictures of??, if it's landscape, look at different branded wide angle lenses and see which one is better for the price etc. And then depending on the brand decide on which body to choose. :) e.g I like photographing things close up so i bought a canon body and the 100mm macro lens. Before buying, I read the 100mm macro for canon is one of their better lenses for the price. . .

hope this helps, best of luck :)

5. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I suggest the D80 over either of the other Nikons listed. With it you can use every AF lens Nikon makes. With the D40/60s you are limited to AF-S/I lenses for full functionality. Sigma and Tamron alos make lenses for those two cameras as well. I love my D80 even though it doesnt see as much use since I got my D300.

6. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The D80 was one camera that came up a lot in my searches and i thought i was set on it except for when i did this comparison

Compare cameras (dont mind the D90 in the comparison i put it up for fun)

The D60 just seems cheaper and a bit better but as you said you can use all the lenses for the D80.

7. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of the Canon's you mentioned, I would go with the 40D. Have you considered the new 50D? Between the XTi and the XSi, I would choose the XSi.

8. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have considered it it does seem a bit out of my price range.

9. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

10. Joves

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes but if you look at the graphs you will notice that the D80 and D60 are nearly neck&neck in all categories. To me it boils down to you are not loosing enough in imaging power to trade off the lens issue. And I hadnt realized how much the D60 has dropped in price. Also remember the D80 is a dumbed down version of the D200, it just lacks some of the D200 features. Much like the D90 is the lower version of the D300.

11. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True that they are neck and neck and maybe i should save my money and buy a D60 then add an extra lens with the save from the D80? You can find D200 bodies on ebay for 500$...

12. Joves

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah you can but I would be wary of anything too cheap. I see B&H has the D80 body for $550 and the D60 for $600. The D200 is still selling at $800.