suggestions for a camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Tom The Bomb, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Tom The Bomb

Tom The Bomb TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am a 17 year old high school student looking to buy a decent digital camera. I take classes in Photography, which I find myself to be very involved in. I don't want to waste money on a camera that isn't going to work out too well for me. I want a camera that takes good quality shots, and one that I will be able to use for years to come. I'm not super worried about a budget right now, but I want some other opinions on a nice camera. I was looking into a Canon Powershot SX20 is, and it seems pretty legit. has anyone used this camera and had a good/bad experience with it? and does anyone have a camera that they would highly recommend (point and shoot OR DSLR, I don't have a huge preference right now)? thanks a lot

2. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you would be better to post this in an equipment forum, this section is for shop talk and most in here will not be using a point and shoot camera.

3. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's the ones I'd look at in each category:

Point and Shoot:
    Nikon P6000
    Canon G10
    Panasonic LX3

DSLR
    Nikon D90
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon D300s

(Canon's are good too, they just don't feel right to me so I don't know which to recommend. I'd guess a 50D though?)

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

You should have a preference....there is a big difference between a P&S and a DSLR. If you are interested in Photography at all (more than just taking snap shots), they you should probably want a DSLR.

5. CCarsonPhoto

CCarsonPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I find most people have issues with point&shoot cameras in low light, and action shots. Definitely go for a DSLR. If you want something that you can use for years to come and not be limited by, this is the way to go. My recommendation would be a nikon D50 to start. Is photography a hobby for you or something you might do seriously in the future?

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    price range is pretty important to this discussion... as well as your intention the post above indicates.

Personally, it is easy to go for the biggest and best (most expensive)... but I found that I learned and enjoyed the most with a camera I can take everywhere. Once you figure out your needs that come with a little more experience, you can always invest at that time and make the purchases count.

I'd recommend getting a smallish entry level DSLR paired with a good medium zoom and single prime. Don't hesitate looking into the used market.

example.

Canon Rebel with 50mm f/1.4 (f1.8 is high bang for buck but f/1.4 will be with you into the future) and an inexpensive medium zoom.

I am also attracted to a Pentax K10d used. That is a lot of camera for the used market price. Being K-mount compatible opens the doors for old/good manual focus lens which is a big plus for those on a budget.

I have an LX3 and I like it a lot. It is my go anywhere camera but I don't think it makes a good replacement for a DSLR. If you still go this route, there is a new player in town... Canon S90.

7. Knawx

Knawx TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are interested in actual photography then buy a DSLR.

If you just want to take pictures then get a point and shoot.

That being said. I spent weeks researching which camera was best for me. I used both Nikons and Canons. I decided I liked Canon more, however you cannot go wrong with either.

I bought a Canon 50D which I have absolutely loved. I've only been doing photography for about 3 months now and feel that I am moving along swiftly with this camera. Here is a link to some of my shots with the 50D

Knawx on deviantART

8. sam_rowlands

sam_rowlands TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you don't want the bulk or price of a DSLR, but still want to have more control than a P&S, check out the Panasonic LX3, Canon G11 or Canon S90.

The Zoom on the Powershot SX20 you mention is impressive, but it comes at the cost of Image Quality. I used to own a Sony Super Zoom and was pleased with it, until I bought a LX3. The Image Quality on the LX3 is superb!

If you don't mind the bulk, then check out DSLRs.

9. Tom The Bomb

Tom The Bomb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks everyone for your helpful ideas and input. i found a camera that i think may work out well for me. it's a Canon EOS Rebel T1i. Does anyone have any input or review for this camera?

10. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    good choice!

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. there is good quality and there is good quality.
    The Nikon D90 or D5000 has superior RAW image quality and better low-light ISO performance.

Here is a side-by-side comparison based on testing by an independent lab. The Nikon cameras also have a better off camera flash control system, CLS (Creative Lighting System) then what Canon offers.

Nikon's exposure metering and auto focus are color aware. Canon's exposure and focus systems are not, they only see black and white.

Canon makes good cameras. Based on some technical merits, Nikon makes a little better cameras.

12. Tom The Bomb

Tom The Bomb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks everyone for your help. i just ordered a Canon Rebel t1i online. I'm really excited to get my new camera. thanks for your help everyone who pitched in.