Suggestions for a Medium format

John,
I'd recommend the RB67. You should have no issues finding one in good shape for 300-400 quid. They are serious workhorses. I shot one for years before moving to Hasselblads.

If you just want to get your feet wet in medium format then look at the Yashica TLR. You should be able to find one for < 50 quid. They are also fine cameras that will service you well for a very long time. I still have my TLR and use it in situations where I won't carry my 'blad (beach or other harsh environments) and if I do kill it I'm not out thousands.

A Friend of mine has just bought an Rb67 for around £170. but ive looked into the Tlr's,which im now thinking seems like a sound investment. it starts me off on medium format i guess,which means i can diverse onwards if i feel :)

If you like TLR's the Mamiya C33 is a great option with interchangeable lenses. The prices on these are very good these days.

c33_01_kl.jpg

The Graflex is an interesting idea if you can find a good deal in the UK.

I've got a Speed Graphic and I believe it is lighter than an RB67 although I would have to dig it out to make sure. But a lot of them were used by photo journalists on the go.

No denying the amazing jump in image quality when you jump to 4x5 but you do have to have the enlarger that will take that format. I see shots that were made by one everyday from my parents wedding and they are just beautiful. Partly why I have a hard time getting into today's wedding photography, including my own :lol:

I think,at the moment,im going to look for a Cheap Tlr Camera, But the Mamiya C33 seems to interest me,so i may possibly look into that aswell as the Yashica.

Press cameras are confusing me a little bit.anyone have a link i can study?

Edit: Looking on Ebay, The Mamiyas and Yashicas are around the same Price range. So having the Mamiya means i could buy a wide angle lens?

Last edited:
Here's a link for Graflex:

Graflex and Other Cameras

Some of the Graflex models became known as Press Cameras because they were used a lot by PJ. The main thing about them is that they are portable 4x5 cameras, meaning you can shoot without a tripod unlike view cameras.

The main problem with them today, I would think, is flash photography. I'm sure you can find flash units for them but I seriously doubt there are too many bulbs for them around. But, then again, maybe I'm wrong and there is a way to connect a more modern flash. I haven't looked at mine in a long time :(

I think,at the moment,im going to look for a Cheap Tlr Camera, But the Mamiya C33 seems to interest me,so i may possibly look into that aswell as the Yashica.

Press cameras are confusing me a little bit.anyone have a link i can study?

Edit: Looking on Ebay, The Mamiyas and Yashicas are around the same Price range. So having the Mamiya means i could buy a wide angle lens?

Yes.
I think the Yashica lenses are are sharper but the Mamiyas are interchangeable.
They do make attachments for Yashicas that convert the lens to telephoto or wide angle, but the resulting image quality is rather dodgy.

Oh, and for your price range don't forget to look at Rolleiflex's TLRs.

If you don't mind the bulk and weight the Mamiya Super 23 and Press Universal cameras are great for landscape. The 50 mm and 75 mm lenses are superb, and you have the option of 6x9 interchangeable backs. I had a pair of those cameras for many years and they served me well.

For carrying on long walks I like the old (or not so old) 6x9 folders. Now I have a Bessa II with a Nikon lens, but for a long time I used a Ross Autorange 820. If you are confident that you will be happy with their one 'normal' focal length then these are worth considering

Best,
Helen

I had a Little look at the Rolleiflex's aswell.im not sure what i would go for tbh,ive got alot of choice! i know that Medium format is what i want to go for to improve my Landscapes. and i dont want to go any smaller then 6x6.

As for flash,its not really an issue.im presuming that the Tlr's ect will have a bulb setting? or something simular?

RB's are the hands down bang for the buck MF system. This was true even 10 years ago when the prices were much higher.

I have been using them for nearly 25 years now, and while I also shoot Hasselblad, when it comes to versatility versus costs, the Mamiyas win by a long shot.

Epatsellis has got it 100% right. I researched MF for a year and ended up with only one conclusion: the Mamiya RB67 system is the best combination of durability, low price, supreme quality, and extraordinary versatility.

Because this camera is totally mechanical it will work when all the battery makers have gone broke.
The bellows focussing means all lenses are macro lenses.
The revolving back means never having to turn the camera or fit a prism just to do portrait oriented pictures.
The 67 format is nearly double 645 and 40% bigger than Hasselblad for rectangular pictures. These differences you can see.
The entire mechanism is made for high volume professional work. I don't know of an amateur who will wear one out.
Prices are outrageously low if you shop sensibly.

The Mamiya RB67 is heavy camera and goes well on a tripod. But is that a problem if you want the quality or versatility? How many photographers defend their work with "What do you mean my pictures are lousy? Be fair, I'll have you know I used a light camera".

The Graflex is an interesting idea if you can find a good deal in the UK.

I've got a Speed Graphic and I believe it is lighter than an RB67 although I would have to dig it out to make sure. But a lot of them were used by photo journalists on the go.

No denying the amazing jump in image quality when you jump to 4x5 but you do have to have the enlarger that will take that format. I see shots that were made by one everyday from my parents wedding and they are just beautiful. Partly why I have a hard time getting into today's wedding photography, including my own :lol:

Don't forget the option to use a 6x7, 6x9, or 6x12 mf back on the 4x5.

As for the enlarger, my speed graphic IS my enlarger. ;) All you need is a graflarger back to turn any graflok equipped 4x5 camera into an enlarger.

You could also go with a mini-speed, which shoots the 6x7 format in a much lighter and easier to carry box then any 6x7 SLR. And can be fitted with an amazing choice of lenses. Check out this setup:

00Sk7e-115637584.jpg

Interesting! i didnt know it could be switched to an enlarger! its certainly given me alot to choose from :) ive decided to purchase it after christmas,so ive got a tonne of time to decide and look for one :) but keep the info coming :)

Interesting! i didnt know it could be switched to an enlarger! its certainly given me alot to choose from :) ive decided to purchase it after christmas,so ive got a tonne of time to decide and look for one :) but keep the info coming :)

As far as I know only the 4x5 cameras can be made into an enlarger. The one stand-out benefit of a press camera is the selection of lenses, unlike SLR's and TLR's, view camera lenses and shutters are not proprietary, the selection is wide and inexpensive.

Graflarger backs sell for around $50 on ebay:

graflarger.jpg

Here's a link for Graflex:

Graflex and Other Cameras

Some of the Graflex models became known as Press Cameras because they were used a lot by PJ. The main thing about them is that they are portable 4x5 cameras, meaning you can shoot without a tripod unlike view cameras.

The main problem with them today, I would think, is flash photography. I'm sure you can find flash units for them but I seriously doubt there are too many bulbs for them around. But, then again, maybe I'm wrong and there is a way to connect a more modern flash. I haven't looked at mine in a long time :(

Modern Flashes will work fine with most graflex cameras, nearly all of the shutters have an electronic flash sync port.

See those two prongs coming out of the lens, that's for a flash x-sync cable--requires a pc-bipost adapter (2nd photo) which you can make or buy. More modern shutters, like the copal, have the modern pc port on the shutter.

3075363541_d69f99417c.jpg

bp-pfs.JPG

This may be a little late, but check out the Koni Omega Rapid series. You get a 6x7 negative with no mirror slap problems. I just bought a Koni Omega Rapid M (latest version) with standard 90 mm lens for $150 US + shipping. It's as ugly a camera as you're likely to see but it shoots big pictures and seems to have a very solid reputation as be tough and having very good to excellent glass.

I'm going through the same process as you plus having bought and used a Yashica MAT124M for a few months. I found the Yashica to be limiting, having only one 80mm lens and a waist level focusing viewfinder. I was headed toward buying a Pentax 645 or 67 kit (body + wide, normal, and tele lenses), which was going to cost me about $2,000 US at ebay prices, until a Pentax Forum member mentioned the Koni as being a pretty good camera.

It looks like I can get the 180 mm tele lens for about $100 - $150. The wide 58 mm lens, which is reputed to be fabulously sharp, they ain't giving away. That one looks like it will cost me $400 when and if I jump off the cliff.

BTW, I have taken a detour through the Speed Graphic route. I haven't enjoyed the trip and I doubt you will either. Big film is good. They do nice sharp pix. However, although I got a very nice early Crown Graphic for $200 US, I then had to buy film holders, a loupe for focusing, a film handling black bag, etc... The kit in a Graflex case weighs about 25 lb. Loading film by Braile in a black bag may be somebody's idea of fun but it isn't mine. Then there's the issue of getting your exposed film to a lab without screwing it up. And so on... 120 roll film is a much more pleasant journey.

Last edited:
This may be a little late, but check out the Koni Omega Rapid series. You get a 6x7 negative with no mirror slap problems. I just bought a Koni Omega Rapid M (latest version) with standard 90 mm lens for $150 US + shipping. It's as ugly a camera as you're likely to see but it shoots big pictures and seems to have a very solid reputation as be tough and having very good to excellent glass.

I'll agree. Ugly camera. But ugly in that way which is absolutely adorable. :D There is a photo of Weegee using one later on in his life in his autobiography. ::swoon::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back