Suggestions for first time DSLR

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I am trying to help someone get started in photography with a DSLR - can anyone give me good basic suggestions? Nothing terribly fancy or complicated - this person is just getting her feet wet.

Thanks!

I think the best advice anyone can give in this respect is to set a reasonable budget (and this includes a good sized bag, filters, cleaning equipment, possible tripods, a lens or two other than the standard kit), and to test out the DSLRs from the major manufacturers at a good store, buying the one that feels right ergonomically. Pouring over numbers on a spec sheet without touching them is the last thing you want to do, and they all pretty much do more than a newbie would need.

If you want specific models... the list is pretty obvious. Nikon D40, D80/90, Canon 1000D/450D, Sony A200, etc.

well DSLRs are mostly all similar in what they offer in the form of manual settings and basic modes - aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual, full auto
The beginner level ones have things like sports, macro, landscape and portrate modes, but in all honesty if they are moving to a DSLR and are keen on photography then they won't find the lack of those modes too limiting in the long run.

Canon, Nikon, Olympus - there are some great camera bodies and kits out there are the moment and most offer similar features at the same price levels.
Firstly work out from them what their budget is - then their level of interest. IF they are really keen in the hobby (even though they don't know much now) then they might be better off aiming for a midrange body like a canon 40D rather than starting with a more basic level 400D - however also remember that lenses have to be bought as well.

From there on get them into a photo shop and get them to hold the different cameras, erganomics is a big part of photography and if your not comfortable with the camera then its going to be hard to get used to using it

Great advice - thanks to both of you, I will pass it on to her.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back