Suggestions for Portfolio?

sarallyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm trying to select images for my H.S. photography portfolio. I need to select 15-20 images, and i'm having a hard time. I have quite a few in mind, but i'm having trouble choosing.
I will be applying to the School of Visual Arts, Maine College of Art, and several liberal arts schools.

if anyone has any time and would like to suggest a few from my deviantART, it would be much appreciated. I can still edit them before I put them in my portfolio, too, so C&C is appreciated.

I still have about a week before I will be sending my portfolio on a CD to SVA, so i'll be taking a lot of pictures this week in hopes of one or two more additions.

thanks,
Sarah

sarallyn on deviantART

Strong work. Narrowing it down is going to take some time. Generally all the animal photos are obvious and should not be included. Photos like "scavenger" and "illumination" show a better command of the medium.

I attended SVA '86-'90. Did I say that out loud? At any rate they are looking for creativity. Mostly they are looking for a commitment. Also be prepared to explain each photo in depth.

Love & Bass

Hmmm... I'm not sure you have 10+ images there to include. Creativity is key, as are shots that look like some thought and effort went into them (like your "dylan" photos). Also, don't include any photos that your grandmother would hang on her wall (unless you have a really hip granny).

Also, avoid cliche--there's nothing worse to someone that looks at lots of portfolios more then something they've seen a 100 times before. Trust me....

I would choose:

1st choices:

Dylana III
Illumination
Happy Pit Bull (I would normally say NO PET PICS! but this is an exception)

2nd choices (these are a bit less creative, I've definitely seen these before):

Longing...
Sandy Curves
Whirlygig

From there, you are mostly left with photos of flowers, pets, people and landscapes--good but nothing special.... I think you should do more shooting (you know the fun part).

Good luck!

thanks for the advice --

I do have some more b/w stuff that I have to scan... studio stuff, panoramics...
I mean, that isn't all my photos...
I'm going to try and do some more urban shots this weekend, too. architecture, strangers, etc.

Just in terms of general portfolio tips: pick 10 brilliant images rather than 10 brilliant plus 5 okay ones (unless you are specifically asked for 15...). Use a few different styles of images to show your abilities. I reckon start with your second best image and finish with your strongest. Make the end of the portfolio get better and better; so 3rd best image as your penultimate choice. And pick images that YOU feel passionate about - if you can't talk about the picture then that won't look good.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

that sounds awesome -- thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Back