Suggestions for upcoming event please

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had this idea to help myself. My friend works at a hair salon and he liked it so I pitched it to the owner and he liked it and all the other stylists at their staff meeting liked it.

The basic idea I pitched was one day I go into the Salon and set up a little "studio" in the back on their little porch area. Everyone who comes into the salon that day I offer to shoot a free headshot. I'll take a couple shots and let them pick their favorite and e-mail it to them for free. We would advertise this maybe a month or so in advance so we can try to get new customers into the salon that day which helps them and all these people seeing me will go tell their friends and family "some guy at the salon gave me a free headshot" and hopefully out of all those people a couple might want to hire me for a full session.

So that was the basic Idea. At the salon meeting with his staff a lot of them came up with some other things to add. This is what my friend told me they were talking about I wasnt actually at the meeting but some people were saying we could have a bar b q and turn it into a big monthly event. Every month the salon would offer a different special like free w/e (i dont know anythign about hair so iono what they can offer but you get the point) There are a few organizations like hair stylist for breast cancer and stuff like that so they were thinking of turning it into kind of a charity event and every month donate so much of those profits or the bar b q or w/e to the organization which will hopefully bring press to the salon and to myself.

Sooooooo tmrw I am meeting with the owner so we can discuss in more detail what it will involve and set a date for it. I was wondering if any one had any new ideas or suggestions about things we could add to this to make it better. It would be greatly appreciated even if its after tmrw (july 7th) we could still incorporate some ideas into the event.

I was planning on having staples print up a large poster for me (of a flyer design - see other thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86187 ) and then having a few nice 8x10 portraits mounted on 11x14 boards on display so people can see some other work and hopefully influence them to shoot.

Thanks you very much. I know this was kind of long but all input would be greeaaattly appreciated.

Excellent idea! Maybe before and after shots? Not sure the Bar b q is a good idea. Food and hair do not go well together.

I would suggest having a show of all the best shots. The opening reception will bring in loads of people and a portion of your sales could go to charity.

Love & Bass

hmmm that could be a good idea. Maybe hang on the wall the best shots from that months event, and they can stay up for the month and all the persons friends will want to go and see it.

Can you explain what exactly you mean by your show and an opening reception?

Also the salon wants to set up a real website (right now they only have a myspace page) and what I was led to believe by my friend all the stylist would have their own page and they would have me that day shoot at least 1 of their clients for the website. This way with new shots every month the website will stay up to date. These shots they would be paying me for to have on their site.

The web is an excellent tie in. This idea keeps getting better and better.

The salon would agree to show your work for free. Usually for a month. They get art on their walls and potentially more clients. You get the money when the piece sells. Works well for bars, cafes and restaurants. In this case the hair salon is key.

The night that they go up have an opening reception. Invite friends clients and especially the press. You know the people in the photo will be there. So that is at least 12. Serve wine and cheese. Next thing you know the salon has some new clients and you sold $5,000 worth of art.

Love & Bass

Ok so I talked to him and he doesn't really feel like doing anything too big so it's just going to be free head shot with the cut. Even tho he doesn't feel like doing a raffle or anything I was thinking I could still do one on my own.

Raffle off my "extreme model" photo shoot package for let's say a $2 ticket.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back