Suggestions on Composition

ksasidhar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo almost an year ago. But was going through it now and saw that I did not follow rule of third or any possible rule while I captured this image. It still looks good image to me, but probably because it is of my son. Could I have followed rule of third or anything else to make this composition better.

Thanks,
Sasidhar

Attachments

• smiling_baby_resize.jpg
    smiling_baby_resize.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: orf
I'm not so much a visual rules geek, but looking at it ..the duvet's kinda third to the right, your son's left eye is on a level of a third from the base of the picture. That a bit of his hair is cropped out of frame just adds to the snuggled-up look of the photo.

In fact, if you draw a line between your boy's eyes, it is exactly in the so-called golden ratio which for me is the "rule" that works best with almost anything. Being it a placement of a vase on a cupboard to - well photographs of kids ;). So: well done - if it wasn´t done by coincidence, you seem to have reached the level where you don´t have to think about rules, but rather shoot what looks best.

Thanks to both. At that time I just shot what looked good. But never heard of golden rule. something to read upon. Thanks again

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Keep in mind that there are no hard and fast "Rules" despite their names. They are only suggestions based on the way many people feel that other people like to view a photograph. If YOU like the way it looks then that's the way it should have been shot.

The guidelines for the composition of visual images have developed over the last couple of thousand of years.
But ultimately the goal is to make images that appeal to you.

The rule of thirds frequently leads to 'dead', static, composition-by-numbers types of pictures. My advice would be to always ignore the rule of thirds and go by what looks good.

Thanks Alan. Thanks all. I thought rules of composition were made because the photos looks good with those rules bit for some exceptions.

Is it that these rules are less applicable to portraits?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back