Suggestions on file formats for back and forth between LR & PS?

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been doing a lot more lately than I used to in PS for things like curves adjustments, local adjustments, blending, etc. When I open the images from LR to PS it converts to .tiff, which creates massive image files (140-190mb each) which is just needlessly eating up hard drive space. When I have 70+ images from a shoot and 30 to 40 of them I bring into PS for adjustments, you can do the math on how much space that eats up over time.

I honestly haven't taken a dive into the menus in LR too much yet for options, but is there a better way to set this up so I'm not creating these huge .tiff files for every image I bring into PS from LR?

I also currently do not convert to .dng upon import so I'm working with the .NEF files when editing.

I would have thought Lightroom would save as either PSD or JPEGs. There must be an option in Lightroom preferences to set the format.

I would have thought Lightroom would save as either PSD or JPEGs. There must be an option in Lightroom preferences to set the format.
I'm sure there is, but I haven't looked very hard yet. In general, I'm just wondering what the best method or file type would be to not have massive files, but also not lose a lot of usable data.

In my opinion it wouldn't be worth editing in anything but tiff, otherwise you would just loose too much data. I'm surprised your files are that big, but still, I would think of a workflow so that after you are finished editing, you export the final tiff or whatever to a large data drive and then erase them from your LR library.

I just use the tiff format if I have to go to PS.

I store all my files initially on the computer for editing but then I transfer to a 5Tb external.

In my opinion it wouldn't be worth editing in anything but tiff, otherwise you would just loose too much data. I'm surprised your files are that big, but still, I would think of a workflow so that after you are finished editing, you export the final tiff or whatever to a large data drive and then erase them from your LR library.

I do currently have my workflow set up so I do all my initial edits on my primary drive which is an SSD, then move the files onto a large capacity HDD for storage, but still, it would be nice if there was way to reduce my storage needs a little because over time, it just keeps filling up. I'm not in danger of running out of room right now, and I can always buy a bigger drive, but it would be nice to reduce image sizes a bit. And bottom line is I don't know enough about the differences in file types (tiff, PSD, etc.) to know if you are really losing usable data when going to say PSD instead of tiff. File size isn't always as important as how the data is stored and managed, so basically bigger isn't always better. However, I don't know that for sure in this case.

I just use the tiff format if I have to go to PS.

I store all my files initially on the computer for editing but then I transfer to a 5Tb external.

I actually have my images also duplicated onto an external drive as well as the internal HDD I move them to after editing.

A 2TB drive is less than $100.

With PSD, you lose no data at all. I don't know how it compares with TIFF format but PSD saves your adjustment layers and such.

A 2TB drive is less than $100.

I actually already run a 3TB HDD as my internal storage drive, but will eventually be upgrading that to two 5TB drives running in RAID 0.

With PSD, you lose no data at all. I don't know how it compares with TIFF format but PSD saves your adjustment layers and such.

This is the kind of thing I need to research more, I think. PSD files I think were smaller, and if they don't lose data, I may try that route and see.

To set the file type and other things use the Preferences dialog box (Edit > Preferences > External Editing).
+1 for using PSD instead of TIFF.
TIFF and PSD are the only 2 choices.

You might wonder what else you're unaware of by not being familiar with the menus.

Peachpit TV for Photographers - Roundtrip Editing with Adobe Photoshop on Adobe TV

Thanks for the suggestion, and the link. I am actually fairly well versed in the menus, and I knew roughly where to find the settings I was looking for, but I just hadn't gone and changed anything in hopes of learning a little more about the advantages/disadvantages of different file types before taking my usual approach of buffaloing my way into changing things without knowing...

So I've been doing a lot more lately than I used to in PS for things like curves adjustments, local adjustments, blending, etc. When I open the images from LR to PS it converts to .tiff, which creates massive image files (140-190mb each) which is just needlessly eating up hard drive space. When I have 70+ images from a shoot and 30 to 40 of them I bring into PS for adjustments, you can do the math on how much space that eats up over time.

I honestly haven't taken a dive into the menus in LR too much yet for options, but is there a better way to set this up so I'm not creating these huge .tiff files for every image I bring into PS from LR?

I also currently do not convert to .dng upon import so I'm working with the .NEF files when editing.
If you wish you edit your images in PS after you do your thing in LR, you can export the images as a JPEG If you wish to edit in PS all you need to do is export them to another directory and then open them in PS, and the pictures will not be so big, the reason they are big in TIF format, that is because TIF is 32 Bit VS JPEG is 16 bit.

If you wish you edit your images in PS after you do your thing in LR, you can export the images as a JPEG If you wish to edit in PS all you need to do is export them to another directory and then open them in PS, and the pictures will not be so big, the reason they are big in TIF format, that is because TIF is 32 Bit VS JPEG is 16 bit.

No. JPEG is not 16 bit. JPEG is defined as three channels of 8 bit each. Editing a JPEG is a bad idea. The point of moving a TIFF or PSD from LR to PS is to retain full information for editing before creating an archive JPEG.

Joe

Cannot LR send the file to PS without saving to disc first?

Cannot LR send the file to PS without saving to disc first?

Yeah you can open a picture in LR and then tell LR to open it from there to PS, But the picture is already saved to disk.

Most reactions

Back